Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Letter a Week (ALaW) 7

Things are ticking along quite well and I continue to be inspired and challenged to go make some letters.  This is quite different to my others.  I wanted to work on fabric; and I chose this piece of rusted organza for starters.  I rusted it early last year by wrapping it around rusted items, wrapping it up tight, submerging it in white vinegar and leaving in the sun for 2-3 weeks. Requires patience to avoid 'peeping'.

I then wrote a letter and traced it onto the fabric and stitched around the outside of the letter.  I wanted to try using metallic thread as well - quite a challenge on fine delicate fabric, but fun.  I first of all tried two out of the six strands and it went wild, so I reverted to one strand (which was actually two very fine ones wound together).  It worked quite well but bounced around a fair bit.

I then covered a piece of mat board with calico and wound the remaining gold thread strands around that, then covered it over the top with the rusted fabric and embroidered letter. Phew!









No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.