Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rusty books

I really love the look and feel of rust. I love its discarded beauty; the way it proudly wears its history and I love the sense of rediscovery that happens when I begin to work with rusted materials.

It feels as if the old, the worn, the forgotten, the discarded and the weary have been found; their beauty recognised and valued, and new life given to them.

I have been working on some more rusted books. Their names 'surrender', 'succumb' and 'submit' suggest their past - that they have been surrendered, have succumbed to their environment and submitted to the weather.

Here are the beginnings...





7 comments:

  1. yes, fabulous names for these rusty books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The text is beautiful against that rusted surface...clean and crisp against the rough and worn. I love your description of the rusted surface proudly wearing its history...so true! Can't wait to see more as time goes on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ~submit succumb and surrender...these pieces are a gorgeous start and the choice of words perfectly fitting...they have surrendered to life and allowed time to caress them gently...weathering and wearing them in a gorgeous way and now you have come into hands with them and will be creating a new from your books...so fascinating to see one create from a timeless piece...warm wishes and brightest blessings~

    ReplyDelete
  4. fine lettering. i really like the rust on submit, i also like the way those letters look as shapes themselves. the silver on rust (at least it appears silver or white, perhaps).

    ReplyDelete
  5. The more I see of rust the more I appreciate its beauty. And these plates are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are wonderful - love the lettering!

    ReplyDelete
  7. More apologies for tardiness in replying...
    Caterina - the words do suit and tell a tale
    Patti - I like the contrast too and the way the surface leaves me wondering where its been
    FW - a lovely reflection thank you
    Velma - thanks - I like the way the letters work as well
    Carol - we have a joking term amongst a few friends here - 'rust-lust' when we see some gorgeous rust; it can become addictive...
    Jane - thank you engraving versals into steel is not the easiest thing to do, but I like these shapes

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.