Sunday, January 16, 2011

A wee book

I have managed to pull together a sweet little book using some of the encausticed-rusted-pages over text that I have been playing with.

This one tells the story of life lightening - getting lighter as we move forward, emerge from tough times, and find our way back.

I combined the colour of the pages with the thickness of the pen and density of the ink to create a bit of a transition. In no way, is the book about being free of worry or drifting delightfully without a care in the world; it's simply about reaching a better place.

I interspersed the pages with other lovely rusted and textured pages and then created a non-repeatable Fiona binding using some lovely soft leather I found in the cupboard. It ended up being a combination of approaches, all of which needed to be modified in order to achieve the outcome.






11 comments:

  1. I really like you one-off Fiona binding! It looks very touchable, I'd like to hold it in my hands. What a delightful little book, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol - it DOES feel lovely to hold! And the binding holds together well but could have been better resolve with a bit more time and thinking I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it - what a beautiful book. I love the rusted paper and the words, words, words. I must find out how to make rusty paper! Very intriguing. Sara x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful book, wonderfully photographed!
    xox

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is why the internet is evil--i cannot hold this thing! arrgh! i do want to touch it, evidence, i think, of a successful artists' book. really fine, fiona.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tim - thanks for dropping by and yes, the textures are nice!

    Sara -I shall send you a recipe soon I promise!

    Thanks Jane and Anna - and for the kind words re photographing - yours is always so beautiful Anna.

    Velma- I laughed outloud! It is a lovely thing and feels beautiful - soft on the outside and all interesting on the inside.

    Thanks Louise and Ronnie - lovely words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ~"In no way, is the book about being free of worry or drifting delightfully without a care in the world; it's simply about reaching a better place."

    you my beautiful friend are not only a unique artist but a wordsmith too...this piece resonates deeply with me...reaching a better place...and it is through your work and words that help each of us be reminded of such journey...i thank you and barry greatly for all of your healing energy...a constant...great comfort you both bring to my days...i hope all is well and always much love light and blessings be with you both~

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.