Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Letter a Week 2011

I have worked out my first alphabet for the year and have made a beginning.

I have decided to go with the multi-layered italic letters. Even tho each 'page' will look somewhat the same; I will get to do some lettering every week which is good.  After my trials and practices I have decided to go for the random, rather than the structured look; and have added a touch of gold to each piece. I fiddled with circles over squares, and ended up with the squares (or diamonds, depending on how I place them).

So here are the first four...





I haven't started making them into a book yet, that will happen over time, but I do have a plan which is a good start!

7 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I'm also impressed at how well the gold leaf has come up on the computer screen. They will make a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bands of five lines, a bit like musical staves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carol and Annie I really love the five line nib as well, I call it my 'music pen'! I also like the way the letters seem to dance - you should see the others appearing on the blog; stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are lovely, Fiona! I especially love the surprise touch of gold on each! Have fun with this alphabet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great, Fiona! It's like someone left a music manuscript alone and it erupted into music - what music really looks like, all crazy joyful chaos, not those straight lines we impose on it! Good works.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patti - yes it is fun and relaxed - and the gold is a nice surprise!

    TT/G - I love that description; the letters do seem to be dancing to their own beat and having raucous and outrageous fun!

    ReplyDelete
  7. the bit of gold is super. i think of the silver dots on a monarch butterfly chrysalis... and it's what i didn't get to in my rock book pages (though i have the gold leaf!)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.