Saturday, May 7, 2011

Mosaic magic

We have spent a bit of time at Umbukumba school during our stay - talking with staff and parents and in one instance undertaking surveys with the senior class as it worked with their curriculum. They had been designing  a survey themselves, and enjoyed participating in ours and sharing ideas about research.

In amongst the grey green of the grasses and gum trees; and the red dusty earth is this bright and magical mosaic at the entrance to the school. It makes me smile every time I pass it.

Umbakumba School mosaic
 The mosaic shows lots of images of local animals that are important in the people's lives here. Fish - there are so many fish around here!
Umbakumba mosaic - fish detail
 This part shows the turtles making tracks back to the sea after laying their eggs in the sand...
Umbakumba mosaic - turtle detail
 I think this might be mud crab - but I just loved he vivid colours!
Umbakumba mosaic - crab detail
There are also dugongs, tiger sharks and crocodiles depicted.

This is a photo of some of the school buildings all painted with traditional imagery. The school caters for children from 0-3 in a playgroup on site to 16 and 17 year olds and somehow holds it all together!
The entrance to Umbakumba Community School

3 comments:

  1. I've got to say I'm usually a bit 'ho-hum' about mosaic... but this one has a lot of heart and is a real little treasure

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree totally Ronnie; I am rarely inspired by mosaics but this one truly does have heart and a story and is just so 'right'!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ditto on the mosaics-- I think because I have seen very crafty cutesy mosaics by amateurs-- but these are different-- with such a wonderful story.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.