Friday, June 24, 2011

Photo mosaics

I have been wondering about how to make mosaic-tile type photographs as I have seen so many bloggers using them to such a good effect. Some kind folk offered to helped me out with photoshop templates and so on, but I tried and failed and felt a bit inept (thanks for trying Liz!).

So I took some late night moments this week to see if I could discover an easier way of doing them and this is what I found...

My first trial was a mosaic of a few of the finished 'black and white and a touch of ...' alphabets over at alaw2011. I already put all the finished alphabets  into a slideshow on the blog, but I thought it might also be nice to have a 'group photo' as some point and post it as a blog post.  I used a 2 x 2 grid here so didn't collect all of the finished ones yet (it was a trial after all). Having kind of sort of mastered the process, I will definitely go back and do a couple of group photos for that blog.

Liz had already used a grid in her final shot and it added an interesting design element to the layout. From L to R, top to bottom: Heather Courtis, Liz Davidson, Anna Mavromatis, Laurence Bucourt.


This next set uses a different layout - one large shot of Cartography I and II with a detailed close-up of each.

Another variation - a single major shot with three smaller detail shots of my final ALAW2010 piece.

Another way of playing - four vertical strips. This time showing snippets of 'Within, Without' by James Turrell.

I found it pretty easy to use - altho you have to play for a bit to familiarise yourself with it. I also had to sign up - but there don't seem to be any negatives associated with that.  You get to choose from about 7 different layouts; can use up to 36 images in some of them; and also make choices about the colour of the frame and the width of the separators. You don't seem to have much control over the cropping; but I think that's the sort of price you pay for going with a "we-do-it-all-for-you" kind of approach.

I think I can live with it for now!

4 comments:

  1. http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php
    India Flint recommends this one.
    x te

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fiona, your mosaics are beautiful! And thank you for the link and great information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done Fiona... it seems to have done the job more than adequately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks te - my link heads there as well; it is pretty easy and user-friendly I think, and good to know India also recommends..

    Jane - it's always good to share a little discovery!

    Jo - I think it will suit me for a while - and is well worth a play until I can learn the proper ways.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.