Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Peace flags...

In amongst everything that is happening on so many different fronts, I have been trying to take steps towards my outdoor peace flags, which we will fly to celebrate International Day of Peace on 21 September 2012. See here (or the button on my side bar) for some fabulous, experimental and stunning flags and ideas about peace.

I had grand plans for these flags - but am now more just hoping that I might be able to pull off something that is good - not grand, I think I will settle for just good right now.

I have also headed off in so many different directions with these flags - each time coming up with a slightly less ambitious notion and one that will be more likely to fit into the time I will be able to make available to them.

Last week I finally worked out there was no way I could make my latest planned ones in time, but I suddenly had a beautiful, calligraphic thought.  Why not make peace weather-grams?  Weather-grams were created by Lloyd Reynolds a key calligrapher from Portland Oregon back in the 1920s.  In simple terms they are short notes written on brown paper and hung in trees to weather.

The idea really grew on me and I bought some brown paper lunch bags and chopped them in half  and began to write notes of peace on them.  I had loads of quotes to write out, when I suddenly thought - I'm going to 'verb' peace.  So each weather-gram will simply have upon it a single phrase - Be Peace. Imagine Peace. Think peace. Begin peace...things like that.

Here are a few teasers of what I am now making...





Soon you'll get to see them in the tree...



18 comments:

  1. I am looking forward very much to seeing them in the trees and also seeing them weather.

    Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi Diane - thank you. I love looking at them in the tree and I think they will weather beautifully and gently. Promise to show you soon!

      Delete
  2. You are such a tease! Love the shots, but love the idea of your peace flags even more. Can't wait to see them fluttering in the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know J. I didn't mean to, but I thought these looked so lovely and deserved their own time in the sun so to speak. A friend stepped out of her car yesterday and saw them and said do you mind me telling you that these just move me to tears? What a remarkable response to them - it felt like I was on the right track. Keep it simple.

      Delete
  3. Lovely idea and I know they will be beautiful hanging in the trees. I can't wait to see them finished!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry so late Jane - they do look lovely int he trees I think!

      Delete
  4. I like the verb + peace concept... and LOVE the photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo - I thought the light was too stunning to ignore...I think I probably need to verb peace actively more often myself!

      Delete
  5. Lovely idea, Fiona, and wonderful to be inspired by someone from long ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen - apologies for tardiness. Yes, it's nice to have things go full cycle almost isn't it - be renewed and refreshed.

      Delete
  6. Maybe not 'grand' but so great, Fiona! No wonder your friend was moved to tears. Here's one more admirer of your work looking forward to seeing it hanging from the trees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ersi and sorry for not replying sooner. They have worked as I wanted...

      Delete
  7. So inspiring Fiona! weather-grams ... learn something new everyday :) your concept of weather-grams and verbing Peace is just amazing ... the universe will hear you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Luthien - sorry for being so slow to reply - the world turned faster these past few weeks I'm sure. The weathergrams are nice simple things to do and to engage others with as well.

      Delete
  8. i like this fiona, very much. sometimes the simpler and easier, the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like V - and I agree re simplicity and ease; sometimes it's just right!

      Delete
  9. Love this idea of the peace flags turned weather grams! I love that you came to the elegant solution to "verb" peace....look forward to seeing them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti - one of those moments when it just became clear verbing was the right thing to do!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.