Thursday, October 25, 2012

Thursday Thoughts...

“May there be kindness in your gaze when you look within.” 

John O’Donohue

I've just finished a lovely meander thru the interweb as I tried to discover a bit more about the man who wrote these words.  John O'Donohue was a former priest, a writer, philosopher and somebody who honoured the quiet places and spaces.

The sentiment behind these words seems to me to recognise a truth about many of us much of the time, yet it does it with such gentle wisdom. There seems to be an understanding that we can often be harsh when we look within; that we can be critical and the opposite of kind to ourselves. And it offers us an opportunity to do otherwise.

There is generosity, wisdom and understanding of human frailty in these words I think, and I am touched that he reminds us of how important it is to care for ourselves and to be gentle on ourselves.  Sometimes we are far too tough on ourselves.

I guess in a way, and given who he was, this is a blessing or a part of a blessing, and it is a kind and caring reminder to leave people with.


8 comments:

  1. Such a lovely quote. It's one I need to remember and put into action as, like many probably, I am my harshest critic. Kind of a "do unto yourself as you would have others do unto you" statement...to paraphrase a bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J - it's a real truth and a sadness isn't it that we are so often that way? I was really touched by the gentle care and wisdom he suggests here and will try to do better. I like the idea of doing to yourself and you would have others do unto you kind of thing - I get it! Go well and be gentle.

      Delete
  2. We are our own harshest critics Fiona are we not ? This is a beautiful thing to suggest but I think our DNA determines whether we have the wherewithall to do this for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Lesley - and what a sadness that is. I think there is a bit of hope in the notion that if we can catch ourselves and let ourselves stop criticising ourselves; every now and again, then we might learn a new pattern...

      Delete
  3. Beautiful quote, Fiona. Interesting that I, as the previous two commentators, immediately think of the words "harshest critic" in relation to myself. Maybe it is locked into our DNA. I will try to remember this, Fiona, and be kinder to myself. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol - if we ever said to others half of the stuff we say to ourselves we would probably have few friends left! Isn't that strange? A think a bit of self-kindness is a fine thing; giving ourselves permission to not be perfect.

      Delete
  4. You seem to post things Fiona, that reflect or suggest things from something I have just been experiencing in my life. I have been reading a bit about Quantum Physics, again, after letting it simmer inside me for a long, long time. Now it seems to make more sense than it did before. I think there might be a little of that going on in this post. That if we feel kindness, we'll behave kindly - to ourselves, and others... and I know this is true, you know - thoughts become things, and all that... :) Love your posts, always so intuitive with room for much more 'pondering'... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Timing and synchronicity are beautiful things. The quantum physics stuff is daunting; and challenging, but has some truths to ponder and reflect upon with regard to ourselves doesn't it? I do think the more positively we think and talk about ourselves (internally!) the more likely we are to be kind to ourselves and maybe even do better...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.