Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thursday Thoughts...


“I do believe in an everyday sort of magic — the inexplicable connectedness we sometimes experience with places, people, works of art and the like; the eerie appropriateness of moments of synchronicity; the whispered voice, the hidden presence, when we think we’re alone.”

Charles de Lint

These moments are special I think, when from some place deep inside us or from a long way away we get that sense of knowing a place or a person or a thing.

I have no idea if science has a valid explanation for these moments; but I am confident that they are real and that many folk experience them.

It sometimes feels as if in amongst the multitude of people and places on the planet, that you have somehow met them before or visited. Sometimes you recognise a kindred spirit, sometimes you feel you are in the right place.

I remember my very first trip to Scotland when I was in my twenties - we were driving in the Highlands and I suddenly felt this whoosh feeling "this is home". It was palpable and strong. Scotland still calls me and I feel a strong attachment to the west coast - that this is the place of my people and that I am connected deeply somehow.

I think Charles de Lint has a wonderful way of offering us views on what is reality and what isn't, and suggesting that beneath our logical and analytical frameworks lies another way of being and experiencing the world.



Castle Tioram on Loch Moidart, Ardnamurchan Peninsula, Scotland. This is the castle belonging to my mother's side of the family's clan - the McDonald's of Clan Ranald. I love its remoteness and its many moods.

We stayed in a cottage with a view of the castle for a week back in 2003, and spent hours every day gazing at the castle (which is really a ruin), walking over to it when the tide was out, rambling over it and dashing back as the tide came in.

As I type this I can't believe it's been ten years since we made it to Ardnamurchan, I think we might need to head back...

14 comments:

  1. F - I agree - on the need to revisit Scotland soonish. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally with you! Now we just have to decide when!

      Delete
  2. Charles de Lint is my favourite author I have a bookshelf and a half dedicated to his books. x te

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great to know Trace - I need to read more!

      Delete
  3. I'm sure that sense of home is written in our dna. Similarly, I feel it in the West coast of Scotland and Antrim in Northern Ireland. I need a road trip and a slow ferry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll join you Annie on that trip - The Dempsters left from County Down...

      Delete
  4. Charles de Lint's books help me know that there is a tribe of like minded artists, musicians, poets and wild things who are sharing this life out on the edge, as do blogs like yours Fiona, we live in an amazing 21st C world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do indeed Mo I love that feeling of belonging that books and blogs can bring.

      Delete
  5. Yes, I know that wonderful feeling. The castle and the beautiful scenery is breathtaking. Time you went back! We are planning a trip to Scotland, the land of my husband's and my ancestors. This time we want to savour it instead of taking a whirlwind trip. I have that strong connection to the farmlands and mountains in Underberg (South Africa). Friends from Scotland said it's no wonder since it is so like parts of Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SOme places call you don't they Robyn? I t will be wonderful go back and savour it more slowly. We are now seriously contemplating it!

      Delete
  6. That reminds me - I must pull out my Charles De Lint books and reread them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you do and I hope you enjoy Lyndell!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh such a beautiful place ... Those of you who read my blog will know we visit Scotland, - my husband's family's place of origin - 3 or 4 times a year. Although not a Scot myself, I've learnt to love it - the quite unspoilt nature of the landscape, its wildness and, above all for me, the quality of the northern light and the colours it brings. All beautiful and such an important part of my life now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a special place isn't it Charlton? The wild empty spaces and the light...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.