Thursday, September 5, 2013

Thursday Thoughts...

Reading was my escape and my comfort, my consolation, my stimulant of choice: reading for the pure pleasure of it, for the beautiful stillness that surrounds you when you hear an author’s words reverberating in your head. 

Paul Auster (The Brooklyn Follies)

This quote resonates with me for two reasons right now; firstly Barry and I attended the Queensland Literary Awards last night, and secondly, we are about to head away for a week to a place with no tv, no mobile phone coverage and very little internet connection. So books it shall be!

At the State Library last night, I was so aware of how important books are to people; how important story telling is; how books, thoughts and words shape our culture; and how we are formed and shaped by what we have read.  Those in attendance were passionate about books, writing and reading and their heartfelt pleasure in books has carried over into my day today. I am still being nursed along by the notion of books and all they can be for people.

And as we try to get ready for our week without technology, books once again become my stimulant of choice, my consolation and my comfort.  We have laughed innumerable times in the past weeks as we have put aside books to take with us to read. We are away for 6 nights I think and this is how the stack is looking at the moment. At last count there are14 books there, which seems even to me, a trifle over-done and possibly the equivalent of one suitcase of packing; but it's a starting point and just knowing they are there comforts me enormously. Some are prize-winners; some are crime fiction; some are non-ficition and some are trashy novels we will leave behind. A great combination; a book for any mood it seems!

We are also both downloading a few books to our iPads and downloading podcast so we can also listen to things whilst we are away.

Oh the comfort that is to be found is a stash of books!




8 comments:

  1. ha ha ha ha! I *KNOW* exactly what you mean --- I feel bereft if I don't have a good selection of books at hand wherever I go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep - they are better than any valium-type drug for calming one's nerves I say Ronnie!

      Delete
  2. My husband and I thoroughly agree that a good choice of books is essential for any holiday, and especially for a reading holiday. We used to travel by car with a box of books every year - one just has to have the right book for the right mood. Now, I'm relieved that the box of books does not have to fight with my husband's vast amounts of photographic equipment - we have our Kindles, and a couple of smaller art books for me too, of course.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Olga, yes the kindle/iPad does offer an opportunity to reduce the load; I just still love the feel of a book in the hand as well!

      Delete
  3. I'm smiling because my pile is up to 4 books for our next getaway (4 days without technology).
    "the beautiful stillness that surrounds you when you hear an author’s words reverberating in your head" .... that's what it's all about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha! I'm smiling and laughing with you Robyn - 4 seems about right for 4 days...just to be safe anyway. There is such a beautiful stillness that surrounds you isn't there? Enjoy your break.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The biggest challenge would be to go away with nothing at all. No books. Nothing to escape your mind. Then, only then, will you really know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true...I might even be able to try that next time!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.