Sunday, December 15, 2013

Patterns appearing...

We have been enjoying our time in NYC, some purposeful art visiting, some purposeful wandering and some serendipitous moments that just make you smile. I have come across lots of lovely patterns in nearly all the places we have been. It always makes me smile that so many photos our holidays and travels are of details and close-ups, rarely showing the full thing or place.

We visited one of my favourite shops, Habu, and this is a close up of knitting with silver thread. I am not a knitter, but that shop very nearly converts me each time I visit!


And as we left I had to photograph the brushed stainless steel door and the patterns the light played within it.


Ans as we wandered thru Soho, this shop had walls and walls of old sewing machines as backdrops to their wares. A grid of old Singers in a way, but I sadly failed to record the name of the shop...


One of my favourite patterns was this sample of a beautifully crossed letter, written from Catherine Dickens to Fanny Burnett in 1842. To save money folk wrote one way then turned the paper 90 degrees and wrote across it...useful trivia I recall from reading Regency romances in my teens (and sadly beyond). This beautiful piece was in the Morgan Library, one of my favourite places in New York.


And this mosaic wall detail is also from the Morgan. I love the light and shadow at play.


This pattern is the snow on the stairs of our apartment building - the bold graphic image the lines created makes me happy.


As does the pattern of these bird-feet in the snow...


The perfect segue to a stunning winter scene at Riverside Drive around 4pm on Saturday...


For us folk from the sub-tropics, spending the day wandering the streets of New York City in flurries of snow was just a delight! I stopped often, grinning from ear to ear, saying "Isn't this great?!?!?" 

12 comments:

  1. yes fiona... its all great (especially that grid of sewing machines!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie I have enjoyed the snow sooooo much. And that grid of sewing machines - amazing.

      Delete
  2. Love the knitted wire!! I have picked up knitting several times, practiced a few and dropped it again. I'm determined this winter season to do it and make it stick!! At least so I can make cozy cowls for the cold times. Beautiful in NY this time of year, enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you well with your knitting this winter Valeianna, it makes sense to knit cowls when you live in the snow! We continue to enjoy the city, little serendipitous moments each day

      Delete
  3. Love the graphic image of the snow on the stairs and the crossed letter. And those sewing machines. I saw machines like those in use in northern Thailand in February, several of them in one shop and a huge Singer repair place on a street corner. Sadly I was without my camera and when I went back the small shop was closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a bummer you missed that shot Charlton, but you still have it in your head...I found the stairs somewhat mesmerising in a way, and was chuffed to see a real, true crossed letter!

      Delete
  4. Looks wonderful Fiona. You see everything with an artist's eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley, looking at the little things often makes me wonder if I'm missing some marvellous big things...but I like it down here! Go well.

      Delete
  5. gorgeous patterns... and Fiona the shop with all the sewing machines is ALLSAINTS...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caterina! I'm glad to know the name...go well.

      Delete
  6. it is beautiful. and a "little" further north it's just as wonderful, albeit a bit colder and wilder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice to know it's not just the visitors who enjoy the snow V! Your weather does seem a wee bit colder and wilder for sure.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.