Sunday, February 9, 2014

Finally, I focus

I mentioned last weekend that I seemed to have a quite a few projects on the go - pushing this one forward, thinking about that one, beginning to make a move on the other…and how that works for me for a while.

Without deadlines or time pressure, I enjoy pursuing them all and driftily dreaming about them. But then something happens and I begin to feel a need to focus, to push one project along and complete it. Get it finished, tick the box and cross it off the to-do list.

It's funny, but I don't ever really know what clicks into place or why I choose the one to focus on, but it happens and then I turn into focus-obsessed person.

It has been that way with this book - suddenly it consumed my thinking and my time in the studio.

I burnt pages until I made myself a bit  woozy with the incense…and learned to slow down and do them in small bursts.




I read books and tried to work out how to bind my burnt pages. Didn't find anything, so had to go play and explore, did a few trials here and there...




I made up a couple of possible binding options, which I rejected.



But finally got the pages sorted…

Onto the covers next!

11 comments:

  1. Your comment about being woozy from all the incense brought to mind the opium dens I've read about in books featuring Sherlocke Holmes. Was there the requisite smokey haze hovering over the room? Sorry, been reading too much. Oh! Can't believe I just wrote that. Blasphemy!

    As always, I'm fascinated by your burnt word works. Coupling the pages with metal bindings is perfect in all the contrasts. More please!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There was indeed the requisite haze - even tho I had two doors open hoping for the breeze to carry it away! All very low key tho compared to an opium den me thinks! These pages have come along well - covers underway and then a book will emerge she says with confidence (eek). More to see soon I promise.

      Delete
  2. Lovely combination of decaying and polished - paper and metal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The contrast of worn and aged and new and shiny is lovely isn't it Valerianna? I think it works...

      Delete
  3. I didn't realise when you last showed this technique that you had burnt through the text. what a great idea though, to use the rhythm of the words. Your leaving of one word is inspired. It reminds me of Ikebana (the art of Japanese flower arranging) exercise of cutting every flower but one off a bush or hedge, so that you would really see that one flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary- I love leaving a special word behind, it makes it feel valued and important and worth thinking on…go well

      Delete
  4. How did you burn the words with out catching the whole page on fire? Wonderful concept of leaving just a word or two exposed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a message d.guff! I use an incense stick that is smoking not flaming; and has a small red tip. I press this to the page and depending on the paper - it just burns very slowly or it races away - always have to test the paper first. Not this time, but one time, I ended up outside stomping on flaming pages...

      Delete
  5. This book is really speaking to me Fiona. I love the combination of materials, but I think mostly it is the meditative process (i see you in my mind). It brings to mind "monkey mind" and then, slowly, with patience.....clarity. Aaah.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Amanda - that is the way this has happened…I suddenly stop and focus, sit quietly, meditatively and my mind empties. It's just a beautiful way to spend time in the studio (until you get woozy!). I am glad the book is speaking to you - we have been having lovely conversations together as we go along...

      Delete
  6. ~now flaming pages could be a bit fun!!! lol...this is something i have wanted to try and i think the boys would engage in this process...a daring bit of play to excite their senses...they remind me of old scripts...the movement that is made flows so nicely throughout...i like the contrast of the metal against the softness of the papers...another job well done...much love light and blessings~

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.