Thursday, February 6, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

“The aim of art is to embody the secret essence of things, not to copy their appearance.” 

Aristotle

I'm not exactly sure what the word for a perfect copy or replica of something is; but I know that art attempts to capture something else, and Aristotle all that time ago talks about the essence of things. Capturing this, expressing this, giving people the feel of it and the sense of it is so much more that replication.

For this I am grateful. I am grateful that artists continue to seek ways to express things that aren't obvious; to show us or make us feel something other than what we might see just by looking.

The more I grow as an artist, the more I realise I don’t want to be copying someone else’s works; matching my calligraphy to somebody’s version of perfect. I find I want to have a contemporary expression of calligraphy; not always trying to replicate the writing of a 10th century monk; or a scribe in far away places...

So I don't tend to copy the old hands and use them, I often find a way of making words read as if they are current, contemporary. I feel that all art should be reflective of it's time, while honouring it's past and it's traditions, it doesn't need to simply copy and repeat the past.


My desire not simply to replicate the past is making my work far more personal and meaningful to me. I’m not sure if it makes a difference for others who view it; I just know it is more meaningful to me. Perhaps at times I am even capturing the essence of something!


This is a recent piece of play - believe it or not, there are words here; with a script I developed then exploded (a la Massimo Pollelo) and then overwrote with different size pens, walnut ink and white gouache.  There is meaning in this for me - I know the words I wrote and what I am trying to say...

9 comments:

  1. i Think I understand what you are saying and it also resonates for me in my work
    I've made the connection between rhythm in free motion quilting (my passion) and calligraphy before. I am in awe of the skill of quilters, particularly long-are quilters who produce absolutely identical motifs, but in my work, I like every motif repeat to be just a bit different - consistently inconsistent. You can see what the motif is, but every one is unique. When I can let the flow breath into the curves - rather than just wobble! - the result is personal. Otherwise you might as well print, or plug in the embroidery machine.
    You seem to have achieved that here - I'm glad it is meaningful to you. I love the rhythm. I've never seen walnut ink but isn't it beautiful?
    How I'm off to google Massimo Pollelo and find out about exploding alphabets!
    Hilary Florence

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hilary what a lovely way of thinking about your quilting motifs - consistently inconsistent! I like too how you describe those moments when the flow breathes in to the curves and creates a personal delight. The personalising of it matters I think. This piece is not a piece as such - more just a play to be cut up and used in different ways, but with the layers of meaning embedded in it. Hope you found Massimo!

      Delete
  2. this is quite brilliant - developing your own style and font (wow) will make your voice recognizable at once. it takes your work to a whole different level. i love this layering effect. it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks MJ - it is good to find your own voice from within whatever field you are working isn't it? Whatever medium you use, finding a way to express the way you see something or feel something or wish to express it...

      Delete
  3. this really resonates with me... and how interesting it is that the quote is from aristotle ---- think for a minute of the classical greek era with its anatomically perfect marble sculptures and put them beside artistotle's words.... yet 'art' in aristotle's time referred more to poetry, drama, comedy, music (sculpture was more about 'craft' back then.... so we remember and exhault the names of greek playwrights but have few clues who carved what) .... so with that context in mind aristotle's words take a different form (I wonder what the big A would make of reality TV? hee he hee)

    I suspect that we all think of these words as they relate to art today and for me they perhaps can be seen as a call to abstraction.... or a plea to consider the conceptual or spiritual depth of art.... in the making, in the viewing.....

    I think its perfectly ok to be focused on the craft of making - and to be interested in perfectly copying the appearance of things (in quilting, in ceramics, in painting, in calligraphy, in story-telling, in interior design) .... but after gaining a certain degree of facility, I think its more interesting to pursue what lies beneath and beyond the surface....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love all the links you make Ronnie! I didn't express myself all that well, but it is about learning by copying, but then making and expressing for yourself - in your own way with your own voice. Using art to find that expression and share it - using skills of a craft to go beyond replication, what lies on the surface… thanks for pondering along with me.

      Delete
  4. I agree that it is more creative and more personal when one pursues their art or craft on their own terms in their own way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna - somehow it adds so much more doesn't it? The spirit or energy or something alters when people create and express in their own voice, rather than by simply representing what is seen…I like that there is a spiritual and personal dimension to art making, that seeks more than simply the surface. Go well.

      Delete
  5. I love that art captures something other than what one sees ..... "a spiritual and personal dimension". That is what makes one feel art. I feel the graceful energy in your piece above.

    The previous quote by Anna Quindlen, “Enough Bookshelves" makes me smile because the most important thing about moving house has always been the placing of book shelves. Even as a child I had to know where my books were going to go.... and then we could decide about the less important things, like beds, curtains, groceries etc.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.