Sunday, March 2, 2014

Of feathers, nests, birds and eggs

Susan and I spent the day on Wednesday working towards our next collaborative book. We had set ourselves a joint theme - Birds, feathers, nests and eggs and agreed that we would mostly work into these books ourselves; that the collaboration would be in terms of mentoring each other and critiquing each other's work as we went along.  We also thought we would see if it was possible to ask the other to contribute something to the book.

After what seems like a thousand detours and trips into side-lanes, and rabbit burrows, I found my way into the theme through words - initially I fought it, but then accepted it is who I am, and have begun this book around some words.

We spent a lovely time telling each other what e were planning, how we were hoping it would work; what we were hoping to achieve etc.  We each sat down and did some work as well and it felt good to sit alongside each other as we beavered away on what we each do.

Susan is making some amazing prints, whilst I am trying to use imagery to represent the essence of the words. Not something I have tried too much of so it is challenging me a bit.  Not as much as drawing birds or nests would have may I add, so I still 'piked' on the really challenging stuff.

Here are some snippets of my day's play - which was really work!

I wanted to cut some lino and see if it would work for an embossing.



I wanted to cut some paper…



I wanted to test if stitching feathers onto paper could work




And wrote myself copious notes!

And then I came home and cut more paper to see just how soft I could go.  Must admit this seems dreamy to me, I really love what it its doing.




So I feel as if I have begun.  We are meeting again once more to work together - that being part of our collaboration this time around, and we will hopefully also have our bits for the other done by then as well. The books will get to meet properly on World Book Day 23 April 2014. That will mark the second anniversary of this beautiful and delightful collaboration that began on a whim and has given us both so much joy.  

12 comments:

  1. The paper cutting looks soft and generally great indeed. But I also very much like the combination of an embossed line with the stitched feather. Looks like a promising start, and I am looking forward to seeing more of it. Thanks for sharing your process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilke - this is really the sorting through and working out part of the process - testing ideas. Hopefully a few of them will make it into the book! I'm glad you like the feathers and the drift cut paper page…go well.

      Delete
  2. It seems, creative juices are flowing in your neck of the woods, Fiona. This theme has my heart racing (besides the Portal of Memories amidst the trees). Everything works for me. The dreamy... very dreamy .... papercuts and the stitched feathers .... all inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn - yes I love that Portal of Memories in the trees as well - simply stunning! And thanks for liking the bits of this book-in-the-making that I like so far as well. They seem to be gentle and holding together. Hopefully, they stay that way! Go well.

      Delete
  3. Love the feather idea, I am doing something similar in a stitched piece that I am making but I love the way they work on paper.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feathers do lend themselves to lots of places don't they Debbie? I was very happy with how they felt they belonged on the paper...

      Delete
  4. Love the stitched feathers and look forward to seeing how it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerianna - it is still gently percolating away...

      Delete
  5. How wonderful it always is to share in your thought process & experiments, Fiona. And it certainly feels good when one's results are so full of promising. Those lacey pages are very intriguing - equally so are the exquisite little stitches holding the feathers in place & that expressive curve you've embossed. I am looking forward to following the journey of your latest collaboration with Susan...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always happy to share where I'm headed and the process - my blog seems the place to show the behind the scenes moments, the website is much more formal! I am enjoying this book now after a fair bit of angst. I look at this blog post and feel it is very much me!

      Delete
  6. It is a tremendous subject to explore and I know the two of you will instinctively and subtly push each other in exciting directions with it. Those stitched feathers are to die for Fiona. I adore those minute, neatly executed lines of thread anchoring that wispy feather to the page stopping it from flying off. Methinks this will be another wonderful collaboration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Lesley - I am hoping we will again produce good books; each time is a bit like falling off the edge tho, never know where we're heeded, but trusting…
      I am hoping I can use those wee stitched-in feather as well - I just love them!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.