Sunday, May 4, 2014

Good news for Fragile Gains

I received good news about Fragile Gains, my book about the fragility of gains that women have made over the years, and the need to safeguard and protect them.

It will soon be winging its way across the ocean to be part of an exhibition in Portland, OR.  The juried exhibition is called "Book Power Redux" and explores how books and artists' books can have a political and social message.  Can books change the world they ask?

The show runs from 30 May to 26 July 2014 at 23 Sandy Gallery, then moves to the University of Puget Sound in Washington state from mid-August to mid-October 2014.

 It looks like a remarkable show, and one that you could spend a long time at, poring over the books and investigating both their message and their presentation.

I have had a few queries and enquiries about the book and have decided to make it a small edition.  It is such a time-consuming book; but it is precious and I would be thrilled if a few versions found homes.

So, I have been back in the studio, slowly burning pages…


Don't you love how the light changes from far away to close up!


I really enjoy looking at the pages when they are stacked on top of each other, and all the background bits show though; all the layers…




And the remnants of the candle I use to light and re-light my incense sticks.


The covers still need etching and the pages now need to be prepared for binding; but hopefully I am edging  a bit closer each day.

19 comments:

  1. how this must smell as you work..... mmmm delish-ous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It adds another dimension to the work Ronnie for sure - an experience for all the senses. I have to do it in relatively short bursts with the door open so I don't over-incense myself...

      Delete
  2. What wonderful news. Congratulations! And I agree with Ronnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J - I really enjoy the meditative nature of this work, and Barry always knows what I've been up to!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations! Wonderful to have a world-traveler book or two! Sadly, wrong coast for me to see the show, though it sounds really intriguing. That does look like a rather time intensive process, but so wonderful. I can imagine that you are at risk of over incensing yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Valerianna, coast to coast is a long way! You will be able to view the show online once it is open I think. It takes quite a few hours to burn each page I must say.

      Delete
  4. Can't say I've ever seen you incensed...except about injustice. That page burning must take forever, but perhaps is a good meditative exercise for being in the moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love it Jo - I do occasionally get incensed you're right! It does take a long time, but it really does still my mind.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations, Fiona, what a wonderful book! And what a marvellous exhibition! Your patience is truly amazing. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol, I really do like this one, despite the hours it takes. You will really love the exhibition - if you can have a look online when it opens.

      Delete
  6. A labour of love. beautiful . congratulations on the exhibition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Fiona; your wonderful idea deserves to be seen. Such a labor of love and time...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharmon, it sometimes seems as if the pages are the easy bit…every step takes such a long time! But as you say, a labour of love

      Delete
  8. Congratulations on the exhibition. All that painstaking work combined with the inhalation of so much incense (cough, cough...) deserves this rich reward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley - an occupational hazard that incense! I choose Japanese incense because it is lighter and not sickly sweet; I seriously couldn't do it with the other stuff. Still working away...

      Delete
  9. congratulations! great news and editioning is always a good thing (and a hard thing for some of us!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velma - I never think I'll edition, and then this one seemed special enough to give it a try, but oh my goodness it's and enormous task! I hope it all works out.

      Delete
  10. What a lot of time consuming work, but certainly well worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.