Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pieces for Peace

I have finished the wee book I will be sending to Ypres for an exhibition based around World War I.  I mentioned earlier that I had shifted from women poets to nurses and the book came along quite nicely once I had decided that.

I chose a fairly subdued palette - but then how could it be anything else given the horror of that time?The soft grey-khaki paper, the rusted braille paper, grey thread and the red cross.

It seems likely that many of the books that will make their way there will use similar colours and imagery - crosses, barbed wire, and probably poppies will appear quite often.  I wasn't trying to be original or avant-garde with this book; I was just trying to tell a story and be part of remembering, reflecting and honouring.

I de-bossed barbed-wire into some old paper a friend had given me; then wrote in small letters along the wire. The black depicts words that describe the nurses and some facts, figures and official type stories. The red is all quotes by nurses about some of the hardships and horror they endured.





Interspersed between the brown pages are slightly shorter pages of rusted braille paper, where I have hand-stitched the word for peace in four languages linked to Ypres - English, Flemish, French and German. I couldn't do a book about war without bringing peace in somehow; interspersed as a reminder that it is an ongoing universal quest. Each page also has a stamped red cross.









Where I couldn't, or didn't, fit words into the barbed wire well, I came back and wrote a black cross (like a grave cross) and a red cross (like the red cross) in the extensions.  I think I must have been channelling Susan subliminally!


The covers are also simple - embossed barbed wire this time and a single red cross on the front.


Each book in the exhibition measures 14cm (h) x 18cm (w), that is 14-18, the years of the war. I think it will be an amazing exhibition.  Barry has also made a book - see here; as has Susan, here. Helen has also made one, so Australia (or at least SE Queensland) will be well represented. 

12 comments:

  1. intensely beautiful book Fiona ... well done! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy - I really appreciate your thoughts. It is a special little one...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks V - it holds lots of precious thoughts and memories.

      Delete
  3. Your book looks beautiful, Fiona, and I agree this project is one of remembering, reflecting and honouring those who lived through horrific experiences in the quest for peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen - that is exactly what the project was for me; an offering, a reflection. I am so pleased we have all been able to contribute to this exhibition from afar.

      Delete
  4. Really looking forward to seeing this book in person .... a really beautiful book but an important one too reminding us all that it was certainly not only our young men going off to war and risking their lives but many, many women. And to think of the horrors that nurses had to cope with ...... I am glad you have told their story. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It will be good to get them together won't it Susan? I am happy that I found a way to promote the women and not let us forget them. I can hardly imagine what these amazing women faced and dealt with - how brave and stoic they were.

      Delete
  5. Very beautifully thought through and realised Fiona. It will grace any place it appears and is a fitting memorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youLesley - I think the whole show will be quite a remarkable way of honouring and reflecting…wish we could get there.

      Delete
  6. Very happy to discover more of your pieces for peace book ! Remember, we met in the Alfa Papyrus shop in Bruges, where I ' m working. As I told you then, I love your work very much, and you deserved to be one of the winners, but I do understand it was a very emotinal piece of work without regarding to be a winner or not. Therefore, I even appreciate it more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Marie-Anne thank you so much! It was so great to meet you in Brugge and to see your book as well. It was a especial exhibition and all of the pieces told their stories so well. I am looking forward to working wight he paper we bought! Go well and Happy 2015!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.