Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Another show and more peace...

I spent a bit of time on the weekend playing some more with my graphite pencils - the water soluble ones.

I wanted to see what a long line of writing might look like with lots of lovely graded grey letters.  I also made more colourful initials, but the thing I needed to know was could I put a bunch of letters together into words, and then a bunch of words into a sentence and have it look OK.

So I wrote some words  - Each day is a new chance for peace - and got out the pencils and the water and the brushes.

I had fun and liked what emerged...

I am always fond of a nice long thin piece.


Soem details of the letters.


After I looked at it for a bit, I thought maybe a red dot over the 'i' would work.



I think I've almost got the hang of how to apply the pencils and the water to get a softly graded look.



And in other news, my book "Silence helps no-one" which is about family violence, has been selected for the Manly Library Artists' Book Award 2015 show, so I shall be posting it off to Sydney soon! It is wonderful to be in such great company and I wish I could see the show - so many wonderful books.

Details of the show can be found on my "Works on show" page at the top of my blog.



What a monochromatic blog post this was!

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Monochromatic Cat? I like the look of them too. Go well.

      Delete
  2. I love the dimensionaity that you drew out of this piece ... and the white space, which is integral to that

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz - its intriguing to see show the pencils can create that effect - I am a newbie to using them so am enjoying lots of discoveries...go well.

      Delete
  3. I love how three dimensional the quote looks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Candy - both you and Liz have helped me see that it does look three dimensional and that might just be why I like it so much! And the negative space of course! Go well.

      Delete
  4. congratulations on getting into the Manly Artists Book Award Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - its the first time I've entered so I was extra happy!

      Delete
  5. love the shading around your letters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much - the subtle and strengthening greys worked out well I think! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.