Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Peace, thanks and farewells

It has been a bit of a mixed bag of days, capturing short moments here and there to write a few words; and at others to write longer words, and sew and prepare pages for a book.

I have been working on a new book for the exhibition - Peace Emerging.  Peace as light from darkness, peace within darkness. All those notions of living in troubled and difficult times, and yet believing and hoping that peace can still make it ways forth out of the gloom.

 It will be a companion piece to seven hanging scroll-type pieces with the same words.

The title is inset into the front cover and the book is covered in a dark book cloth.


The first few pages...




I liked the close up of these words as well.


Each page has been machine-stitched without thread, and the reverse of each page looks quite nice I think!




I have also run out of thank you cards, so made a few last night - just simple pencil Versals on warm paper - it's just always nice to give (and receive) a hand-made thank you card I think.



And a friend is moving so I wrote a couple of wee cards for her as well. I couldn't decide which was the best word to use, so sent them both.



So one big thing and lots of little things. That's kind of like life really...

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It is indeed Cat, lots of little things and the odd big thing!

      Delete
  2. the exhibition you & Susan are pulling together is going to be amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed Mo - we just caught up with each other's work this afternoon; we are definitely edging closer. Go well.

      Delete
  3. You have such a light but sure touch ... would love to see the letters flow from your hand, but seeing them here is the next best thing.

    The threadless sewing machine stitches are a wonder, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Liz - I like a sense of lightness in my work. Stitching paper without thread is fabulous - but does blunt the needle a bit. Go well.

      Delete
  4. so pleased to have found your blog.The stitching without threads does leave interesting marks. Your lettering is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much - glad you landing happily on the blog! I love the uniformity of the machine stitched holes (and the speed with which they happen!). And thank you for your kind words about my letters...go well.

      Delete
  5. Hi Fiona, your peace book looks stunning, l love the colours you have used and the threadless stitching just looks fantastic, you amaze me with how simple you seem to make things and it turns out just so beautiful, simple always seems hard for me, but stunning when l see someone else do it, and good news for me, Gemma is coming to Melbourne in November for a 2 day workshop with pencils, l finally get to do a workshop with her, l admire her and her work so much, so excited....cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh lucky you Kate - enjoy your pencils workshop with Gemma; I adored doing it earlier in the year. I like simple; and sometimes have to work hard to add more things in and keep working; I always want to walk away and leave it hardly there...

      Delete
  6. fiona, i'd like to walk through your book, following the disappeared stitches. i've pierced a lot of holes lately one by one...and your words are beautifully made

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velma - I have pierced a lot of holes one by one recently as well - but loved this machine stitching and the freedom and movement it allowed me (oh and the speed). The letters have been enjoyable to work with I must say. Go well.

      Delete
  7. Fiona, l forgot to ask, what brand of paper to you use ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate - the rusted paper is Canson Mi Teinte, the thank yous are on BFK Rives and the Adieu and Au revoir are on Indian khaki paper!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.