Thursday, February 25, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

“Lighthouses don’t go running all over an island looking for boats to save; they just stand there shining.” 

Anne Lamott

This is one of those quotes that I have glanced at and read times over and always smiled and enjoyed and thought 'I like that'.  Today I chose it to ponder upon, and it struck me that I really hadn't ever thought too much about what it might really mean.

In terms of application to my own life, or my observations of life I wondered what it meant to be a lighthouse?

As I though about it, I think it means for me that the true value of a person's shining light is that they are somewhat steadfast and reliable and they are just there.  You know they are there, they share their light and you can find them easily.

They don't run around like a chook without a head trying to rescue people; they are there sharing light and possibly wisdom and care.

So it's about light - and all it offers, but also about presence and availability. They are there, and their gift is shared.

I'm intrigued what a wander these words have taken me on when I so instinctively just liked them!


So having happily chosen the quote and gone a'wandering with it, I then thought do I have a single photo of a lighthouse with which to illustrate this post?  Barry reminded me that on our recent trip to NZ we saw a lighthouse - but did we have photo of it? Yes I did take one!

From inside a boat and all, but you can imagine this wee lighthouse shining for boats to keep them safe.





10 comments:

  1. More wise words! Thank you for sharing this quote and your thoughts, Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patti - it's such an interesting thing to ponder; even tho it seems simple on the surface. Go well.

      Delete
  2. I completely agree... lovely post and thought for the day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this quote and I love lighthouses. So solitary and steadfast. There is something to be said for not caring whether or not anyone is even "out there" to reach (or rescue) - the lighthouse is what it is and does what it does regardless. I've known a few such sources of light in my time and could use some of that patience and faith in my own being and doing as I have more often used the chook strategy of making my presence known and allegedly useful! But I've learned that it isn't a matter of how many are reached (or rescued) by one's shining. If it is even there at just the right time for just one traveler, its purpose is served. Great post, F, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's another great angle TT/G - it honestly doesn't matter if anyone is even there does it? It is so good to know that there are lighthouses out there for us all, doing what they do, and that we can all sometimes just be the lighthouse for somebody when needed. Go well

      Delete
  4. " ... One of the most calming and powerful actions you can do to intervene in a stormy world is to stand up and show your soul. Soul on deck shines like gold in dark times. The light of the soul throws sparks, can send up flares, builds signal fires ... causes proper matters to catch fire. To display the lantern of soul in shadowy times like these — to be fierce and to show mercy toward others, both — are acts of immense bravery and greatest necessity. Struggling souls catch light from other souls who are fully lit and willing to show it. If you would help to calm the tumult, this is one of the strongest things you can do."
    excerpt from "Letter to a Young Activist During Troubled Times"
    by Dr Clarissa Pinkola Estés

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well Fiona, I was all ready to comment about the aptness of this quote and your response to it,when I read everyone else's comments and especially the quote offered up by Mo. Oh my word but that one resonates too - struggling souls catch light from other souls who are fully lit and willing to show it - wow,that hits home.I've had a hard day today, helping a friend in need and cannot sleep now as concern for her troubles weigh on my mind. I hope I have been her rock today. Reading this has calmed me. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad the words found you when you needed them Lesley - and that Mo's and others were just as helpful. That is the most beautiful of quotes that Mo shared. I hope you find some rest soon, and can know just how much you helped. Tough times, go gently.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.