Thursday, August 11, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

“It’s not hard to decide what you want your life to be about. What’s hard, she said, is figuring out what you’re willing to give up in order to do the things you really care about.” 

 Shaun Nieguist

Such an interesting thought.

Intermittently I spend time reflecting on my life and whether I am doing the things I say I want to do. It may take the form of sitting down and writing a list of things I want to have in my life (things like calm not acquisitions!); ways I want to be in the world; things I want to be spending my time on; and people I want to be spending my time with.

At times like these I feel as if I am almost attempting to create the perfect life of Fiona; imagining me being the best version of me I can be.  So that's not a bad thing I guess; thinking about the best you can be.

And then I stop and reflect some more and see what it might take to make one or more of these things happen in my life. How to make changes. How to make small changes and how to make big changes.

Barry and I often say to each other - "if it is to be then it us up to me."

Which is kind of nice shorthand for "don't just say you want to do something - do it!"

And so I try to consider a couple of changes I think I can make, I become more mindful of them; put them on a list, or try to build them into my life some way. Sometimes I succeed - sometimes not! Sometimes it is hard to work out what has to give, in order to bring the new way into being.

I am better at sitting quietly for a few minutes a day; but am yet to master regular cleaning of the decks. Sigh. I think the quote captures where the hard part lies.

10 comments:

  1. The truth of this quote is bouncing around in my brain. It's saying 'declutter!' We fill our lives and spaces with so much stuff it is impossible to do and be what we want. A timely reminder. Thanks Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you read has stopped bouncing Jo - like you this really hit me and I thought OK, what can you do with that? Decluttering is always a good place to start isn't it? Enjoy!

      Delete
  2. I think it IS hard to decide what you want life to be about, or it is hard for me. I am always trying to marshal my thoughts and decide what works for me rather than throwing the kitchen sink at my life and hoping that some clarity appears!! This is a great quote Fiona and I love your response to it. A few minutes silence to clear the mind sounds bliss. I shall try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So interesting isn't it Lesley - what will we be when we grow up kind of thing! For me the heart of it is what am I willing to give up, give away or stop doing...that's hard. Enjoy the ponder and wishing you well with it.

      Delete
  3. your quote is a hard-hitter. yes, i'll be thinking aobut it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a gentle hard hitter isn't it Velma - there i salon of truth lurking gin those little lines...go well

      Delete
  4. It's a case of "you can have it all, but you cant do it all" because there is simply not enough time. There were many art mediums I wanted to try but after sitting mulling it over I realized i just couldn't squeeze it all in and needed to choose which were the most important to me so I'm still carving but enjoy looking at paintings, artist books, metal work etc knowing that I've made the right choice for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to know that tough decisions can end up being good ones and the right ones Robyn. We honestly can't do it all (I often think I need about 3 lifetimes to fit in all that I want to do) but if I do really want to do something new, then I have to work out what to let go off...intriguing. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.