Thursday, August 18, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

To sit alone in the lamplight with a book spread out before you, and hold intimate converse with men of unseen generations - such is a pleasure beyond compare. 

Kendo Yoshida

I figured that Kendo Yoshida was either male or lived along time ago, or both, because I really would rather this quote spoke about chatting with folk - men AND women of unseen generations, but I didn't let the gender equity issue get in my way of pondering. As I wandered the interweb looking for information, I found that he was a Buddhist monk, born in 1283 and who amongst other things wrote a collection of essays titled "Essays in Idleness" which sound delightful!

The image this quote evokes in my mind's eye and the sense I get from it, is one of such pleasure. Anytime somebody suggests sitting quietly and uninterruptedly reading (not necessity alone, I think reading in silence can be companionable) I respond with the biggest deepest sigh of delight. Such an exquisite gift to be left alone to read and ponder and disappear in the worlds of the words...


Candlelight, not lamplight, but lovely.

5 comments:

  1. being alone is a gift, alone with a book is wealth. we alone types are not well understood by the madding crowd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As Debbie says V - so perfectly put. Gifts and wealth - I feel rich.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.