Sunday, August 21, 2016

White words

The group of women who have been helping organise and support Regional Print activities  to celebrate the Print Council of Australia's 50th birthday are holding a small show/display at Pine Rivers Gallery in November.

Even tho that it a way away, the work basically has to be ready by mid-late September and with a bunch of things on the go, I felt I really needed to get down and start printmaking in order to have something ready for the show.

I had a great day in the studio on Saturday - printed and then printed some more.

It was a very time consuming day; lots and lots of fiddly little processes to sort out but a great sense of achievement at the end.

It's not as if I'm finished by any means, but I have managed to get the main part of the printing done - still lots of steps to follow, so do watch this space.

One of my favourite images from the day - white ink on white Japanese kozo paper stuck on the studio window with the sky coming  through...


And a partner image.


My two favourite mistakes of the day.

I like them so much I have trimmed them down to use for something else!




Detail of a mistaken W.


And some shots of what I was trying to do...



Half way through peeling off the tape.


By the end of the day I had printed enough pages for an edition of 5 books with two more sets for an exhibition copy and a hors de commerce copy. I had also printed two broadsides which were serendipitous and fun.

It took nearly an hour to print the seven copies for one page. There were seven pages to print, so it was like a full day in the print shop just head down, bum up printing. I was sticking tape down, inking up, peeling tape away for each page and that was might fiddly, but there results were oh so very rewarding.

Next to the sewing machine, the covers and the stitching of the books.




8 comments:

  1. the enthusiasm and joy i read here is palpable! you are cookin' with gas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it showed Velma - I felt like a real printer on Saturday - I was in the groove and grooving! Thanks!

      Delete
  2. that white on white kozo with the light behind it is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fabulous isn't it Mo? I love those moment of serendipity...

      Delete
  3. The creative energy and excitement for the project can be felt across the miles. What a wonderful day you had. There's a fascination to white on white or black on black that I find very appealing and you've captured it very well. If only we lived closer, I'd happily be your studio assistant. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some days are diamonds J - and this twas one of them. So nice when each step just works, and even the mistakes are magic! I can only magian how much fun t would be to be assistants one each other's studios! Go well.

      Delete
  4. You continue to push and explore the white on white theme and those masking ideas are so cool. Well done you and looking forward to seeing the next steps.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lesley - it a fun exploration that teaches me a lot. I am loving the masking off and got a whole new bunch of ideas just the other day - can't wait to get back to the press and test them! (have to go make books now). Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.