Thursday, September 22, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

Taking time to do nothing often brings everything into perspective. 

 Doe Zabtamata

Sometimes the simplest words capture the most profound of understandings.

In our busy world - and don't we all seem to need to tell ourselves and others how busy we are - it can feel like a crime to stop and do nothing. I know I get the guilts even contemplating sitting down and staring into space for a bit; just opting out of my day and reading a book; watching a movie or anything else that doesn't seem purposeful.

I imagine I must be pretty goal-oriented, action-oriented and the like and yet I know in my heart that slowing down and simply being is important.

We have recently begun a period of stillness and quiet in the middle of our day - sure we set a timer and some days my mind runs down all sorts of rabbit holes and ponders way too many things; on others I achieve stillness and a quiet mind, paying attention to birds outside, the sound of the wind, the refrigerator humming...

It isn't a grand exploration of the art of meditation. It isn't an impressive amount of time; but I have already noticed that my mindset is shifting. I am less anxious about getting all the things done that need doing, and I find the time to do them in a far more relaxed way. Perspective has become apparent.


Taking the time to find raindrops on spider's webs...

6 comments:

  1. I am with you!
    Wish you plenty of times to catch the beauty of rain drops, to smell the roses...
    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Anna we need to pause more often don't we? life whizzes by and in the time spent quietly with nature and those we love the most is the best...

      Delete
  2. I watched a TED talk the other day exactly mirroring your thoughts. The speaker suggested 10 minutes per day of mindful rest trying not to think of anything at all. My tinnitus won't give me the silence to go with those ten minutes but you've made me think it is worth a try Fiona. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an interesting talk Lesley - I could spend my life watching/listening to TED talks! Ten minutes just stopping seems to be good - am sure it gets better when you make it mindful rest. Go well.

      Delete
  3. a beautiful post to take time to smell the roses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the roses Mo! And to watch the dew drops on webs...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.