Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Fun with fabric

Not much actual art happening that can be shared and shown just yet; so it's back to the clothes I was sewing before Christmas.

It has been a bit of  revelation just how much I enjoy making clothes for myself and how much time it can makeup in my brain! It's also funny to observe how when I am in the middle of making, I am constantly trying to find ways to get back to the sewing machine, grabbing half an hour here, setting aside time there...I guess that's the definition of an addiction or obsession.

I haven't touched fabric this year except to pre-wash a stash that I hope to make up, but before Christmas I got a bit done, including my Christmas Day frock, as featured with chickens previously.

I liked the detail on the pocket, and the sort of underskirt in black - added some length and also added a bit of interest I think.



It fits really well and is a nice cool summer shift.


I whipped up some black trousers the week before Christmas - I like to wear comfortable black trousers when I travel and these are very easy and comfy and still look OK.  I turned the pocket fabric around so that I could use the selvedge at theta of the pocket as a bit of decoration - the selvedge was so lovely.

Nothing flash but very serviceable with a dash of interest.



I also completed this loose top in mid December. Another summer top, loose, cool and comfortable.
The fabric was some of my mum's stash that I kept and it's nice to have made something with it.



Back to hand stitching now - edging closer to completing the commission and sending it off.  Handing over another one next week I hope and getting words cut for a different one next week as well. Phew.

8 comments:

  1. Sometimes doing something completely different can really invigorate the creative process. You are making me want to get the sewing machine out. Perhaps a fabric books might be a doable compromise?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true jam - and so sorry for my late replies! I think you should add a fabric book to your list of samples and explorations this year for sure!

      Delete
  2. Fiona, this is very inspiring especially after seeing a very chic silver haired lady at the Art Gallery of NSW the other day. She was wearing a beautiful soft weave grey linen shift with a ragged ecru ruffled edge that I coveted and wanted to ask where she bought it but felt that would be way too gauche, seeing your fab new clothes makes me want to have a go at making a frock too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling Mo, and I actually did go up to a gorgeous woman the other day and ask her about her top - we were in a fabric shop so I could ask if she made it! Sometimes you just want to hop across that social boundary with excitement and discover something new!

      Delete
  3. lovely and cool-looking, though here in our snowstorm it feel a bit too cool (i'm wearing alpaca).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes V - perfect for here and now, not so much for there and now!

      Delete
  4. That dress is so chic Fiona and I love those extra 'you' details. How novel to turn the selvedge to your advantage too on the trousers and as for the top.... oh gosh, you can do neat facings!!! With such results I'm not surprised you are addicted to sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind Lesley - the back of the facing is not so pretty! Still, who looks I figure? I am chipper and excited about it all - and sewing with a bunch of women who all do different things (and don't gossip) is a lovely way tospend a morning each week.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.