Sunday, April 2, 2017

Presenting Words

It has been quite the week here - with ex-cylone Debbie heading through and causing chaos up and down the state. We had torrential rain and powerful winds and lost power for a while, so lots of plans went awry.

Nonetheless, we had a fabulous weekend with a visit from Donna Watson from the US and her husband John.  They landed in the storm and had to deal with Susan having no power, moving to our place, and lots of our visiting options unavailable as they were closed for the weather or the loss of power or follow up damage; but nevertheless, they adapted!

In typical fashion I failed to take a single photo of us together, but trust me; she was here.

As a result there was not much studio time but I did manage to get myself to the framers to talk about pulling together some presentation folders for my work.

As ever, Phil Holden spent time with me working out what as possible and how it might be made possible and together we solved it all. Even more amazing, Phil was able to deliver them two days later!

A group I am part of has been looking for a way to present unframed work in a professional and stylish manner. This is our first trial for finished work (it has been used for student presentations previously) and I am hopeful we might be onto something.

I chose a white Canson Mi Teinte for the cover. It is about the right weight; but does crinkle a bit. Not sure if that will impact or whether I should go heavier in the future.


The cover unfurls to reveal tracing paper. This could also be glassine paper I think; but the tracing paper's weight feels nice.


Which then lifts to reveal a mat board around the artwork.



Which, when raised, shows the artwork attached to the back mat.  The work is adhered using a removable, archival tape and can therefore be purchased, and then framed and mounted as preferred by the new owner.




I mounted three works like this.



And I do love the subtle hinting that the tracing paper provides.


I also got a spare made to show the group and to possibly pop something into later on!


So, quite the successful experiment to date; the works will be for sale at our Open Studio over the Easter weekend.

12 comments:

  1. Love the Words pieces... if worried avout the crinkles couldn't you iron the paper, light spritz with water, poss both sides,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Beverley for the tip - I might need to explore that! The Words pieces are still favourites of mine; they helped heal me at a time I was a bit lost. Go well.

      Delete
  2. what wild weather you've had up there & such a beautiful resolve for unframed work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh the weather Mo! But I think we might be on to something here with the unframed presentation notion...

      Delete
  3. Stunning in its simplicity and magnificent in its execution.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The whole works together well as it gently reveals I think...thank you!

      Delete
  4. Lovely indeed, both the work and the presentation with its subtle tracing paper and that reveal - who could resist?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope nobody can resist Margaret/Charlton and they walk out the door! Its ago solution I hint. Go well!

      Delete
  5. I did see a photo of you all on FB, so someone was snapping them! Interesting way to present work, but not frame it. I've been researching ways to not mat and frame watercolors. There are options, but I'm not completely sold on them yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes V - I think John might have tagged Donna...it's good to know you know I'm not making it up! It's an interesting journey the non-framing one; some lovely and some very poor possibilities...time will tell I guess. Go well.

      Delete
  6. how lovely, Fiona and so subtle !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Annick - I like this work; and I like how it is framing up...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.