Thursday, November 23, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

I crave uncomplicated quiet, and the sky. 

Marilyn Hacker

So interesting to see the quotes that jump out at you and pretty much self-select.  This is one of them.  Whilst we travelled, we were often in cities and in amongst people.  But one of the things I liked is that folk didn't know me, so I could move quietly amongst them. Yes traffic and noise and bustle and smells and all of that goes with a city; but as you meander in your own world you can sometimes just be very quiet.

But in contrast to this quote, it is probably a complicated quiet, as you navigate in unknown streets, negotiate crossings and exchanges in languages unknown.

I think if I were asked to write or choose a sentence that meant 'home' to me - I wouldn't bother writing one because this would be it.

At home on the mountain, the quiet is uncomplicated.  We live a pretty quiet life; a bit of road noise, but no neighbours we can generally hear, no car alarms, no sirens, no horns, very few parties or loud music. Noisy birds at times I grant you - but when they stop the silence is more eloquent than before they began.

And the sky. I can honestly say having lived here for  a decade or more, that I do crave the sky. The sky matters to me here. It is a constant reference point. I check it multiple times throughout the day - to look at clouds, rain, light, or whatever. It is a constant companion and the scale of it here is enormous. We can see so much sky.

I'm with Ms Hacker.


From eleven years ago, before we built out house and landscaped the block. I have always loved this sky...

8 comments:

  1. love the view of the cloud mist in your valley !

    ReplyDelete
  2. would make a wonderful quilt or painting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan - it inspires in so many ways - fills me up and nurtures em as well. Go well.

      Delete
  3. I'm sitting here with a huge smile and light heart, all thanks to your most eloquent post. Ms. Hacker definitely had it right. And so do you and Barry. Each time either of you share a photo such as you have here, my first thought is the ocean with waves rolling in and then my brain wakes to say "No...those are clouds. They live in the clouds."

    How exquisite it must be to live in the sky. Total bliss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love living amongst, below and above the clouds J - they add so much to my days. I love that the mist can still boggle - that little double-take and then ahhhhh! Go well.

      Delete
  4. no wonder you love that sky -- look at it! I envy your quiet. In this neck of Mass. we have yard crews, road crews, helicopters, and this year -- 8 months of very near jack hammering. but I know what you mean about wandering among people and feeling free and somehow alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee - we are fortunate in our quiet...and glad you understand the feeling of quiet in amongst the busyness too! Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.