Thursday, December 14, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

“Build gaps in your life. Pauses. Proper pauses.” 

Thom Yorke

Oftentimes I get to this time of the year feeling absolutely wrecked. Strained, harried, hassled and despairing.  For whatever reason, in the past, this is the time of year when things start piling up.

Thing I had said 'Yes' to do back in April or May, when December seemed so far away, crowd in together to make an awfully stressful time.

I have tried to become more conscious of my general willingness to say "Yes" instead of "No" or "Not this time" or "Not this year" or "Not now, maybe later".  I have observed how my year fills and condenses.

This year, I resolved to have my last commitment in October.  I taught on 8 October and that was it for the year. No further commitments that take loads of preparation time or follow up time or doing and delivering time.  In essence, I built in a pause.

And it feels so good.

Of course I am still doing things, still spending time with folk and doing and making for and with others; but nothing is big; nothing is onerous; and nothing is overwhelming.  I hope I can continue to pace my life a bit better; to find time for pauses; and to make time for pauses.


Pausing...

7 comments:

  1. Very wise words - so important to take pauses.Like our local poet W.H.Davies says - What is this life if, full of care, we have no time to stand and stare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Louise - how potent and true those words. Thank you!

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona & Barry))) you are such treasures on the planet enjoy this time out letting go the old year to welcome in the new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mo, it will be good to give this year a gentle farewell and find the new one waiting for us full of hope and possibility...go well.

      Delete
  3. As Louise said, very wise words. Love the photo too. Edinburgh?

    ReplyDelete
  4. all i really want to say is good for you! enjoying holiday time might be a wee bit different this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed V - it feels different already! I am enjoying the gifts my decision has offered...go well, be well, get well!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.