Thursday, January 18, 2018

Thursday Thoughts...

“There’s only one core rule to being an artist that no creative man or woman in history has been immune from. You’ve got to show up. If you don’t even attempt to give your creative urges time, space and energy in your life, then you’ll never be able to create a thing.” 

 Dan James, creativity coach

Each year I wonder if I will spend more time in the studio this year. I wonder what is the best way to make sure that happens? Should I create a timetable and go to this studio at certain times, no matter what other commitments might appear?  Should I? Could I? And round and around.

I do know that these words by Dan James are true.  You most certainly do not get to make anything at all, if you don't show up.

If you stay sitting at your computer; or watching TV; or head down and eyes captured by social media or other things.  If you don't actually prioritise your art, then it often won't happen.

Time in the studio is never wasted.  Cleaning the studio can refresh things; ordering the studio can make it quicker and easier to create when the urge hits; rearranging this and that can remind you that you even have a stash of that so you start to think about how you could use it...and then of course there is the time spent there testing ideas, playing, exploring, practicing.  And then, the moments when because you have shown ups and all the other subliminal and preparatory stuff comes together and you start. You get going and you barely come up for air. You make, you create, you produce and it happens.

Magic!


Showing up last Autumn...

6 comments:

  1. I quite agree ... and would add that "showing up" is also an essential ingredient in creating personal relationships, both physical and virtual, at which you and Barry excel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really interesting take Liz - showing up for people is just as/even more important isn' it?!?!

      Delete
  2. there is so many dreams still to make!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo your commitment to showing up and being available to the spirit muse is exceptional - you work so hard to make sure you are there and you can work together on things...just brilliant!

      Delete
  3. I don't have a studio, but I did feel beeter having finally cleared my desk - it is THE dumping ground over the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, clearing space helps clear your mind a bit doesn't it? My studio is till only half cleared but I can begin to see possibilities again...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.