Thursday, May 16, 2013

Thursday Thoughts...

“There is no abstract art. You must always start with something. Afterward you can remove all traces of reality.” 

Pablo Picasso

I have been pondering this thought for a while.  I am not a formal or academic student of art, nor am I a painter, so I sometimes think I don't really understand all that goes along with discussions of styles and approaches and techniques and movements when it comes to painting.  So I enjoyed thinking quietly about this one for myself.

It seems to say to me that there is aways something of substance to start with, and then the notion is abstracted.  I like this in terms of the calligraphy I do.  The process I went through with Massimo Pollelo back in January, where we played with a formal hand and exploded the letters into an abstracted response really gelled for me.

I really like the way some abstract calligraphic art is almost illegible, yet you know it is based in, rooted in lettering. So it seems for me, it matters where you began, not where you ended up.

So now I find myself in synch with Mr Picasso who also thinks you started with something and remove all traces of reality.  Except I guess I don't need to remove ALL traces of reality with abstract calligraphic art...


Picasso's Green Still Life from MoMA in New York. All part of the challenge to find Roy G. Biv (aka the rainbow) the third Thursday of each month with Jennifer and Julie.  We're up to green, so feel free to join in!

6 comments:

  1. What a great - and fascinating - example of green!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'tis very green is it not!?! And it's M. Picasso so just perfect to reflect the quote!

      Delete
  2. I think the actual definition of abstraction is - the simplification, distortion, or rearrangement of the appearance of natural objects. (or at least this is the one I use with my students when presenting an abstraction project) It confuses my students because Abstract Expressionism doesn't look like it is simplified from anywhere at all, just shape, color, line, form. But I like zooming in on a painting, just like the Picasso above, so it becomes just line, shape, form, etc with nothing recognizeable - and it becomes Abstract Expressionism.

    I also love Cy Twombly paintings that are very calligraphic, sometimes it seems as though I might be able to find a word in the marks, but its more the sensitivity with which he articulates the line that is speaking to me. I remember playing with calligraphy long ago and just marveling in the elegance of the lines - and then going out to the forest and seeing runes written in trunks by worms and slug trails across leaves - we all leave our beautiful marks.

    I remember penmenship work in elementary school. I wonder how that might change or has changed with technology? I love looking at old correspondance - the beauty of a well practiced hand. I have fantasies of getting back to letter writing... I hope we don't lose it entirely.

    Your post has me pondering in all sorts of things, thanks, Fiona, and have a wonderful end of the week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you got to go for quite a wander with this one Valerianna... fun isn't it when your head takes off down different paths making different connections. I oftentimes love the marks and 'writing' found in nature - so very very special.

      Delete
  3. I've always liked this quote too. And I appreciate your observation that it matters where you begin...I think the 'roots' are so important, and it's so interesting to see what can grow from them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - for me it matters. When I go making abstract calligraphic marks on the paper, I'm just making marks...taking a line for a wander or a dance. When I start with letters and modify, stretch and change them, then I'm still kind of writing...a funny little bent, but there you have it! I do like the notion of roots!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.