Thursday, May 15, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

“Books are a uniquely portable magic.” 

 Stephen King

I think books are like portable magic in two ways. One, you can carry them around and thereby take the magic within them with you, wherever you are. Secondly the magic within them can transport you away to another land, another place, another way.

So OK, maybe one is portable, and one is transportable, but still they're both good notions!

There are always pros and cons for the paper book and the electronic books.  I think paper books fare better if they are dropped or get wet; I think they are also good in that they never run out of battery power.

Electronic books on the other hand can be read in the dark (as they are often back-lit) and also its easier to carry several of them at once.

Whatever the pros and cons between them, the good news is that both forms are portable magic.

I am once again playing along with Jennifer and Julie in their search for Roy G. Biv, the rainbow and we are up to Blue.


This image felt to me like a book that has taken me away - so more like the transportable than the portable, but still...

18 comments:

  1. I see a gypsy dancer twirling as she dances away...scarves and skirt flying as she leaps...

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous sky, Fiona. What a transition through the values of blue.
    Enjoyed your musings on books, as well.
    Best wishes, sus

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a wonderful sky Susan - and the swirling clouds gave it a whole other dimension. I love those blues...

      Delete
  3. Such a true blue description of books! Thanks for playing this month, Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, true blue is such an Aussie way of saying things! I loved these blues Julie - it was a delight to go searching.

      Delete
  4. What a beautiful blue sky; love the wispy white clouds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm transported into those clouds in that blue blue sky! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do it for you don't they? Something about the big blue, then the dancing clouds…Go well.

      Delete
  6. this gorgeous blue makes me want to float away - with or without my paper or digital magic books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Susan - I'm off and away…drifting and dreaming.

      Delete
  7. Those clouds really do a wonderful job of capturing the feeling of being enticed to another place, just like a good book... Once again, I love how you manage to find a single image to express so much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - I do try to spend a bit of time finding an image which captures part of the sentiment for me - always harder when I am doing Roy, but I enjoy the challenge!

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful sky - all those whispy ice crystals are fantastic ... and your thoughts too. Books are indeed magic and not something I can ever imagine agreeing to be without.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Charlton, there's a special magic in books indeed! I can hardly imagine my life without them, so I hope I never have to face that. Go well.

      Delete
  9. Nice sky, it's the kind of sky one can set out on an adventure under. A sky that carries you along. I love books, they do take you places you never dreamed of. I see them as vacations from my family. When I'm reading I hear nothing, see nothing, and forget housework. It's all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a great sky Jill? I love the blue! It's a little bit scary in a way how faraway a book can take you - I go miles and miles away and pay no attention to anything else, I imagine the house could catch fire and I'd miss it...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.