Thursday, March 19, 2015

Thursday Thoughts...

"Once I’d started my art journey I was in it with a vengeance. I needed it so badly. At last life was full of possibilities". 

Rosalie Gascoigne

This week, Thursday Thoughts turn to art again and here I am back with Rosalie.

I have been pondering this life we live, the joy it brings to have a rich and varied life - living in a place of great natural beauty; working our garden and harvesting produce; making jams and jellies and pesto and chutney from the fruits and vegetables and herbs of our block. Taking the time for family and for friends.  And for art.

I came late to art as a companion to my life - I was so many other things before I was an artist, and like Rosalie, now that I am here, I live a life of art with a passion and a force I never knew lay within.
It fills me up. It calms me. It inspires me and takes away my breath. It amuses me. It gives me joy. It just gives and gives and gives.

I pinch myself often and I recall the life I used to live and how I scraped to catch a glimpse of art in the course of a week; to the life I live now where art is at the heart of what I do and how I do it. And I am filled with gratitude.

I spoke to a young woman at an opening the other night, she studies art at school but doesn't know what she'll do. I just said it doesn't matter. Having art in your life is a wonderful thing and it helps shape your world, no matter what you do with it.

My life is a life of art now and I am pursuing it with passion!

Rosalie Gascoigne - Summer Swarm
It's time to search for the Rainbow again - this month it's yellow. Join Jennifer and Julie as they showcase yellow and share yellow from around the world...

26 comments:

  1. Gosh it is good to have your Thursday pondering again ..... plenty for us all to think about and mull over through the week till the next gem arrives. Thank you Fiona.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you enjoyed pondering Susan! Until next week...

      Delete
  2. Hi Fiona- So wonderful to hear how art fills you up every day. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for playing along again this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie, it is definitely at the heart of my life and things emanate from it now. Yellow is so happy! Go well.

      Delete
  3. Spoken from the heart with true passion Fiona. Well said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley, simple words, yet true. Go well.

      Delete
  4. Love this yellow piece by Rosalie, and love your thoughts about how art enriches our lives, and your passion for it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharmon, I couldn't recall the name of this piece and when I looked it up, how perfect was it? A life of art is good...go well.

      Delete
  5. Your quote and your own words speak so perfectly of this art life being lived...! JOY!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like your "definition" of the meaning of art and how it fills your life. Thanks for sharing the beautiful work of Rosalie Gascoigne. I found a beautiful collection of yellow assemblages she has made on internet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I think art offers me so much in so many ways. Rosa lie is an absolute favourite and I love her work I hope you enjoy more discoveries. Go well.

      Delete
  7. Love your advice to the young art student... YES! For me, the richness of the art life comes in large part from the depth of continued inquiry and exploration. There is such depth in a rigorous art practice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The notion Olof depth is so important Valerianna it can take so long to fully explore an element...it just keeps on giving. Go well.

      Delete
  8. Lovely piece, Fiona. It gives yellow a good spin.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! I rarely use yellow but this makes me happy"

      Delete
  9. It's hard to imagine a Fiona for whom art is not a fundamental part of everyday! How amazing that you have gotten to the place you are now - creating, making, delighting & inspiring so many others.
    Thanks, also, for this glimpse into the mind of Rosalie...I'm interested to discover more. And yes, I love the word "possibilities" in association with art - it sums up what it means to me so beautifully as well..
    Happy Art!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy art to you too Lisa it is funny think how little time there was for any art in my earlier iterations, so I feel fortunate to have been able to embrace it with fervour at thist time in my life. Onwards!

      Delete
  10. What a wonderful glimpse of art as a life ... and how lucky you are to be able to pursue it with such skill and passion ... and how lucky we are to be able to share it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great thoughts resonating deeply. Thank you, Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you CS Margaret, it is a wonderful thing to make alive of art, and I never take it for granted...go well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.