Thursday, July 24, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

“The one thing you have that nobody else has is you. Your voice, your mind, your story, your vision. So write and draw and dance and build and play and dance and live as only you can. The moment that you feel that just possibly you are walking down the street naked…that’s the moment you may be starting to get it right.” 

Neil Gaiman

It seems fitting to finish my Thursday Thoughts with art.  Although books would also have been apt! My life has been so enriched since we were able to change our life and our way of being to bring art into our daily lives and as a way of living.

Not necessarily a way of making a living, but a way of making a life.

I was meandering through my many quotes, wondering which one would be right, and I figured it was this one when I unintentionally smiled at the thought about walking down the street naked - I got it!

For somebody who makes the sort of work I do; it is always encouraging to hear that you can only be true to yourself. That you can't try to be anybody else, and in fact, if the niche you fit into is only this tiny wee speck on the spectrum of all the art in the world, then that's OK. Because you are you and your art is your art.

I empathised with the notion of just possibly feeling as if you are walking down the street naked...when I began blogging I felt as if I was totally exposing myself; even tho I never was.  And certainly when I stand in front of a bunch people at the opening of an exhibition in which I feature, I feel that whole thing all over again. I feel as if the works I have poured my heart into over months are now up for assessment, and that the real me is somehow on show as well.  All crazy talk in your head, but it feels real at the time!

It's all you can do in the end I think - keep making your work. Because it sustains you, it nurtures you and the world needs things of beauty and thoughtful things.


Thanks for the comments on my thoughts over the years. I know I shall miss them in a way, and may well begin again, but for now a little quiet. Go well.

10 comments:

  1. I shall miss your Thursday Thoughts for they gave me something to wrap my brain around each week beyond my normal wonderings of whose shoe did I just trip over, what to put in the girls' lunch boxes, was there enough clean clothes that laundry could wait another day, etc. You know what I mean. You had thinking of things not considered before and that was very good.

    Enjoy your Thursday off!



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear J - thanks so much. I did enjoy pondering and exploring and discovering new things ab out the world. I'm glad they could also take your mind off the dropped shoe and laundry! Go well.

      Delete
  2. Farewell 'Thursday Thoughts' - you will be remembered and cherished and missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan - perhaps they'll be back one day.

      Delete
  3. Hello Fiona ~ I have just had a delightful wander through the last couple months of your blog entries (you certainly have kept busy & creative!), and am even more aware of how much I will miss your "Thursday Thoughts" after reading through several in one sitting. I think it's only added to the pleasure/understanding of each quote to have your perspective on the words you chose to ponder each week; not only did you give us the original words, but an interpretation that set the mind spinning in multiple directions. Thank you for what you have given...
    P.S. I wonder what will emerge within the newly opened space?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - glad you enjoyed your wander and catchup. Sometimes it's great to get a big dose all at once isn't it? I'm not sure anything will pop into that empty space just yet...but we'll see. Go well!

      Delete
  4. A lovely post Fiona. I shall miss your Thursday thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks gina, Perhaps I should think about it as a sabbatical instead? Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.