Sunday, August 31, 2014

Days of this and that

Life is feeling quite busy at the moment - there seems to be plenty of work-work to do as well as several art projects and commitments that need me to pay attention and actually do something with.

So life is skittering from this to that and back again, with moments seized, activities scheduled and projects planned. Sometimes I achieve more when I'm busy and it has seemed a bit that way this weekend.

It has been one of those blissful weekends - with warm sunny days, big blue skies and the promise of Spring and Summer. We had breakfast with friends today and managed to do much about the house and garden and in the studio over the two days. One of our rules is no work-work on weekends.

Studio-wise I have been working on these pages...I love the patterns they make as I fan them out. Ten down, five to go.



I went on to print more feathers - here's a wee one on that lovely goyu paper again. A small love affair has begun between me and this paper I must admit. It is so generous and forgiving and  supports my fragile nests and feathers so perfectly.


I spent time trialling embossing marks - little pathways here and there, trying to discover what will look best against my printed letters.


I came up with this look - I think it works. I love that I can print beautiful letters now! This little piece brings together things I love so much - paper, embossing, letters and printmaking. Sigh.


But back out in the yard, we did a bit of planting, placing about 120 mini-mondo grasses at the base of our rusting Corten steel wall. The wall is about a month old now, and rusting beautifully I think.


We moved SuziQ's rusted irises around and now they frame the entrance to the vegetable garden and act as guides to the visitor's area.


And we dug up our potatoes (hence the bare earth behind the irises in the photo above). We were both a bit stunned at how many we got and how big they were!


Barry roasted some of our coffee, I stewed our rhubarb, and made a chocolate-beetroot cake with beetroot from the garden.


The cake was a gorgeous pink colour when it went in to the oven, but has come out looking far more chocolatey, altho still with a pinky tinge!


Life is full, and varied and creativity is everywhere...

12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. You make me laugh Jennifer! It was a busy but not stressful weekend; the weather helped us be motivated to do heaps I think. I was glad to progress a bunch of things, and to play with the garden bounty. Enjoy your days.

      Delete
  2. Every. Single. Photo. Just breathtaking! What you are doing with paper is wonderful; your wall is amazing; your garden is producing so well; and SuziQ's iris are sooo desirable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol - it was quite a full weekend - but lots of lovely outcomes. The irises are now in their perfect place I think. Go well.

      Delete
  3. you have been a busy bee on all fronts .... well done you x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes plenty happening here - at least the wall is rusting by itself!

      Delete
  4. Love your patterns and cute feather. Also good to read about your productive weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - I hope this weekend will be slightly more pared back. I am infatuated with feathers at the moment - more to come!

      Delete
  5. I've been away for a long time, so much inspiration to come back to. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's nice when you've been away for a bit to come back and wander through isn't it? You kind of get a different sense of the work when you see it all together. Go well!

      Delete
  6. What a joyous post. Lots to take in and envy - particularly the size of those spuds!! Our crops were OK but nothing like that. Great prints and photos too. Must search out goyu paper as I've never heard of it. How did you do that ABC Fiona? Was it indian ink washed off before completely drying? I'd love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was a very happy weekend Lesley! We were a bit gobsmacked by this potatoes as well - and they are so delicious! We are most happy. Goyu paper is really lovely to work with. It is about 50gsm and I get it from Talas in Brooklyn, but it may very well be available elsewhere. Go well!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.