Sunday, December 28, 2014

Parcels in the post

Although the title of this post makes perfect sense around this time of year - parcels heading left right and centre across land and sea; it's not about Christmas presents.

One of the lovelies things about blogging has to be the connections you make with like-minded souls, in far-flung corners of the world.

Somehow, blogging helps us find our tribes, and by taking the extra time to read a full post or leave a comment (as opposed to scrolling past a post and 'liking' it) you seem to get to know folk better, learn more about their little whims and oddities and the things they like.

Over the past few months I have been delighted to receive parcels in the post from a couple of blogging buddies; all generous gifts that appeared from across the miles and the oceans.

Firstly, way back, Ellen offered up a giveaway and I managed to sneak in before the deadline because of the time zone difference - yay! Ellen sent thru a fabulous stamp print; and then out of pure generosity of spirit added in these packets of stamps. Oh my. I got them out and played with them on the kitchen bench; admiring the brilliant colours; the designs; the age; the combinations. I am looking forward to using them in some work. Aren't they stunning?





Then Gaby who is more friends with Barry than me in a way, but who knows what I like, offered to send me some old nibs she had come across at a market.  They arrived in the most beautiful package and with lots of heart.  They are now sitting happily with my calligraphy tools in the studio - waiting for their debut! I have got as far as writing test words with them all and working out where they fit in the fine-line, flexible or firm nib category and a couple now have their own holders and are good to go.


And then the other week Jennifer sent through a journal Barry had won in a giveaway on her blog; but included an extra one for me; and some of her beautiful cards (which I have already used).  It utterly delights me to receive such gifts from the heart and from the well of creativity, in the mail, and to go through the unwrapping process with such anticipation, and such gratitude on fully opening.



Thank you one and all - blogging is good!

6 comments:

  1. I agree with you about the proper reading of blog posts, and the commenting. I also love to receive gifts from the heart, especially when totally unexpected - and even more love to send such things if I know they are just what the recipient would like. Enjoy your goodies in the coming New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olga you have captured it also perfectly and I am looking forward to using them all soon. Go well.

      Delete
  2. Great post Fiona and I too, agree! I've been digging out my olde stamps lately also, and share your fondess of them. I look at what is being produced these days and it seems that everything 'old' is better! Good things take time, right? And now everything is instantaneous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmm old stamps! I was sticking some stamps on some cards today and you're right about the new ones - ours were all about "things that sting"! I much prefer the soft and worn and post-marked look and feel of the oldies...go well.

      Delete
  3. Yes, there is an enormous difference between 'liking' and actually commenting. I love to get lost for perhaps an hour or more reading back through a new blog, or reminding myself of what has happened in a familiar one. Your gifts are delightful and generous, Fiona, I know you will enjoy each and every one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carol - like you I often go waaayyyy back through somebody's blog I have just discovered so I can get feel for it all; and the time taken is never wasted. I often feel blogging is more like sit-down meal at home or restaurant, rather than a drive-thru takeaway which is how FB feels. Gifts are such a gorgeous and generous thing aren't they? I think generosity is almost my most favourite trait in folk...go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.