Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Shape of Things 4

 The Shape of Things IV begins a new approach to the theme for me, with the shape/format of the book being determined by existing materials in the studio. I have been working on a commitment to use existing materials, rather than purchase new materials, for making and creating.

Book IV began with some Perspex pieces that had long ago been cut out as part of creating Perspex frames to house work. Having sat wrapped for over a decade, they demanded some creative attention. 

  

The shape of this book takes on the shape of these pieces which act as covers, whilst the pages take on the shape of soft Japanese papers that had been stacked in long lengths for several years.

 

The book contains 10 pages, folded along the foredge and bound with a single page Coptic binding. Working with papers supplied by Annwyn, a theme about Spring and new growth emerged.

 

Back in March and April I had begun thinking about this book, and how I could use up pieces in the studio AND some of Annwyn's papers.


Because I always make two books - siblings, not twins - I tried to find two lots of imagery within the prints that expressed the notions of new growth and emergence.



And then tested if the words I had drafted would fit on the pages - so much a traditional cut and past kind of gal.


And in a way it all came together. I managed to glue some very lightweight prints to the inside of the perspex covers which made me very happy.


The title page has a red paper fore edge and the now traditional Letraset title.


No imagery on page 1.











The Shape of Things IV is a new approach for me, whereby the shape of things, the book, is pre-determined, and the story it tells needs to be told within those boundaries. And with this book, the shape of Spring emerges...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.