Thursday, October 18, 2012

Thursday Thoughts...

“Let go of images of how you want it to be, or how you think it should be. Make room for the mystery, for the unknown” 

 via Zen Moments on tumblr

Sage advice for whenever I get too ahead of myself and think I know exactly how something should go.  I often find that I know what something will look like, how I can express it and how wonderful it will be when I have realised what is in my head.

And yet, I also know that much of the best work I do comes out of not telling myself what to do; not guiding or directing the work but rather by listening and responding and being guided or directed by  the work itself.

Walking the line between the two is often hard - trying to make something that you think is great happen, whilst also letting something great happen without thinking. Getting the balance right between the original inspiration and the best realisation can be tricky. Note to self, remember to leave room for the mystery.

Perhaps this muddled post reflects my seriously flu-filled head. Barry and I have both been laid low by the flu and are taking a long time to recover.

It's also the third Thursday of the month and so Jennifer and Julie go forth in search of Roy G. Biv (the rainbow) and this week's colour is Indigo.

Here is my thinking about the photos... Indigo dying is like seriously giving things over to the unknown - you can only control just so much.  And because I loved the whole experience I've popped a few more photos into Thursday Thoughts than I usually do. Enjoy.

©2009 Fiona Dempster - surface of Indigo vat, Hanyu Japan
©2009 Fiona Dempster - surface of Indigo vat, Hanyu Japan
©2009 Fiona Dempster - Indigo dying master and vats, Hanyu Japan
©2009 Fiona Dempster - Fiona's handkerchief ready for dying, Hanyu Japan 
©2009 Fiona Dempster - Barry dying his handkerchief as a landscape, Hanyu Japan

19 comments:

  1. oooooo this is surely the very best post for indigo! so inspiring (I have little indigo seeds coming in the mail right now)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with growing your indigo Ronnie - the final results after however long it all takes, can be thrilling!

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh! Your indigo photos are amazing! To have visited there...aaah...doing a happy/envious dance over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi J - very lucky indeed! It was the most amazing place to visits and the show room/shop had so many delights. How about those vats?!?

      Delete
  3. Fiona- WOW! Not only are the photos amazing (especially love the ones of the sides of the vats)but I love the Thursday Thoughts. It's so true...trying to find just the right balance between control and letting go... Thanks for joining in the Search this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you had a wow moment Julie! The indigo vats are something else aren't they? And the thought - a good one to hold onto.

      Delete
  4. Indigo is one of my favorite colors-beautiful work!-I hope you and B. are soon feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane - it has so much depth doesn't it? We are struggling and battling on over here...better soon I hope.

      Delete
  5. Going with the flow and allowing one's work to develop in unexpected directions is so good for one's creativity. Make room for the mystery .... I like that!

    I can't imagine how amazing it must have been to experience Indigo dying in Japan. Sorry to hear you have the dreaded flu and hope you are back to normal soon...... but do take full advantage of a good rest while you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robyn - we may be turning a corner flu-wise which is welcomed. Making room for the mystery is a good reminder isn't it?

      Delete
  6. If only we could all dismiss our perceptions of how something 'should' be and just let it happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo - tricky isn't it? Sometimes it's good to let things emerge; othertimes what emerges is not as good as if it had been directed, so I never really know. Wouldn't it be great to be able to pick the right approach for each piece every time???

      Delete
  7. what a beautiful post Fiona! I just planted some Indigo (Indigofera tinctoria) seeds on Tuesday with the Scorpio Moon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooh vey excitement! I hope the indigo seeds flourish MC!

      Delete
  8. Beautiful images, Fiona! I could lose myself in those of the vat's surface - the metallic, almost coppery, bits make such a beautiful contrast/harmonizer to the indigo dye. What an experience...
    And, as always, I enjoy the food for thought found here on Thursdays. It is so easy to crowd one's days/life so much that there's no space left for mystery. Luckily time spent in the studio is usually conducive to allowing for such things.
    Wishing you a quick recovery from the flu - I always find it very frustrating to be laid up with no energy to realize the ideas that tend to flow in when you feel too miserable to do anything else. I hope you are back in the studio again soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa - it's almost liquid gold on top of the vat isn't ti? And making room for the mystery is something I shall try to be open to...Thanks for the wishes re recovery as well; edging closer we hope; but must admit have't had any brilliant thoughts whilst I've been laid up.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks V we are working on it, but boy has it been a tough one! Go well, stay well.

      Delete
  10. I love the photos and especially the first two! It does feel as if we got a glimpse of gold in the indigo vat and they make great abstract 'paintings' too. Great show of indigo!

    I hope you'll feel completely well soon.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.