Wednesday, October 22, 2014

A busy weekend ahead

It often seems to be the case that Spring in the hinterland is a very very busy time. For some reason we seem to explode out of winter and every weekend is filled with things to do, places to go, events to attend and activities to participate in.

This weekend is no exception as we are hosting the Maleny Celebration of Books - a weekend of activities and events for people who love books and reading. There is the Big Book Club gathering where the discussion will be all about Dave Eggers' book The Circle - a slightly creepy, too close for comfort look at a world without privacy - where everything we do and say is shared on line.

There is a great Forum with some fabulous authors; 22 of our own local authors will be available to talk about and sign their books; there are two films based on books, book launches and activities for children. AS well s the ever-popular Book Swap Tree for adult sand Book Swap Bush for children, and more I am sure I have forgotten.

I have prepared a small display on the wall at the Library, celebrating books and all the joy they bring. Some details of the work are here.


Which is just as well, because for the first time ever I won't actually be here to do anything else or help out on the day (although Barry has promised to go up the ladder and hang the books in the Book Swap Tree so we're still kind of helping).


I will be in Auckland in NZ, with Susan, attending the ABCNZ2014 Book Arts Conference.

I am really looking forward to hearing the speakers and seeing all the different books; maybe meeting some folk as well. Another part of me is looking forward in a different way to doing a presentation myself - about collaboration, and using Susan's and my work to date as a vehicle for exploring collaboration.


It has been nice to go through our books and remember each of them; and just fabulous to be able to share them with a different audience.


I've also really enjoying pondering collaboration and the many ways in which you can do it, coming up with a schema of sorts and just spending time exploring it and thinking about it.


It is a great opportunity and I am thrilled to be heading off, even to I miss the Celebration of Books.

6 comments:

  1. looking forward to your traveler's tales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope I have some great tales to tell Mo! Go well.

      Delete
  2. The book arts conference sounds great; I wish we had more events like that where I live. I hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharmon - I was keen to attend as it is one of the few we have in the southern hemisphere and I wanted to support it - and then they let me speak! will do my best to have a great time. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Hi Fiona, I hope you have a great time at the NZ Book Conference, Auckland is such a pretty place and with all the bookish peeps around I'm sure it will certainly be an enjoyable occasion. So sorry now I didn't make more of an effort to rearrange life in order to get there, but am looking forward to experiencing the whole thing vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping it will be a wonderful few days Robyn - I am so looking forward to soaking in some books arts for a bit. I think it is entirely forgivable that you didn't get to re-arrange life - yours has been sooooo full with Personal Histories! Shall do my best to report back - between Susan and I we hope to cover it pretty well. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.