Thursday, October 10, 2013

Thursday Thoughts...

“The long silences need to be loved, perhaps more than the words which arrive to describe them in time.” 

Franz Wright

Silence can take so many forms can't it? The silence as you sit by yourself; the awkward silence; the silence at the end of the phone when you have to share bad news...but I do think the good silences are the special ones. The silence of companionship; the silence of your own world simply taking place without the rest of the world interrupting.

I like the silence of early mornings - altho of course they are also accompanied by bird chatter and calls; but they are still and silent to my ear.  As a student, I liked the city silence after lights were out, trains and buses had stopped running and most had gone to bed and you could wander along the harbour and it was quiet...

Spending time with silence can be hard; but I think it is good if you can learn to spend some time there each day; a few minutes or a few moments, and to be mindful of them.  Silence helps me centre myself, and to listen to the quiet inner voice that guides me. So hard to do when there is chatter, noise and distraction.

The eloquence of silence.



10 comments:

  1. yes, silence. a place i'm comfortable in and sometimes don't want to leave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree V - am very happy to stay there sometimes!

      Delete
  2. I need "silence" to bring balance to a noisy day. Early morning is my favourite time. I don't mind sharing it with the birds and monkeys :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like your inverted commas Robyn - sometimes I just need quiet in my head and that will do it. I imagine your monkeys add a certain something to early morning silence - but so special. Go well.

      Delete
  3. How I love that sentence - the silence of your own world simply taking place without the rest of the world interrupting. Puts the thought in a way I hadn't considered before.
    Calm and peace and solitude are so important to me and part of my thoughts of silence - but they're so hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Charlton, I think silence is important to many of us and takes many forms. Sometimes it is just out of reach, but we love it when we find it. Go well.

      Delete
  4. Have you read the book 'Silence' by Sarah Maitland? It's fascinating, as she explores the different qualities of silences found in different places, and environments. She also investigates the spiritual and religious interpretations of silence. I have tinnitus, so my world is never completely silent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jan - I haven't read the book but have just added it to my wish list. I like the way some people can investigate and explore an issue and open up new ways of thinking about it for you. Thanks for sharing. I imagine tinnitus is a constant 'companion'; and one you have to learn to accommodate. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.