Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Fiddling and stitching

Susan let me know about the exhibition 14-18 Pieces for Peace being held in Ypres in Belgium later in the year. It is highlighting bookbinding, artists books and calligraphy around World War I.

A couple of us are trying to pull together entries and I have been pottering about with ideas. Lots of ideas not necessarily getting me too far forward, just maybe reducing options at the moment. For example I wasn't sure if I should make a book or do a calligraphic piece instead - thought that might be quicker, altho why I would ever think that I don't know. My calligraphic trials always take forever!

I have decided a book is the answer I think, but just what to base it around remains a challenge.

I have a personal connection to Ypres - my great grandfather died at Messines Ridge, and his name is on the Menin gate in Ypres - along with the thousands of others who have no known grave. So it feels poignant to maybe make a book about him. Although I have previously made two.

I am also working on women this year and wondered if I could find a way to tell some women's stories around the war - somehow tell William's and Isabella's story? Not sure.  The book sections that are being sent out to artists for binding - true bookbinders - include lots of poetry from the war, mostly European altho the Canadian John McRae's "In Flanders' Fields" is there as well.  So with poetry in mind I went looking for Australian women's poetry around the war and have come across a few possibilities. I have bought one book and hope that it contains some gems that I can pursue.

If not, I'll keep pondering.

After all that, here are some shots of some of the ideas I have had to date - just playing around with imagery, embossing and a colour palette.

I was recently gifted a ream of some beautiful old, typewriter paper; all brown on the edges and almost rusty-looking. Isn't it wonderful to have friends who know just what you'd love? Thanks Christine!

So I did a bit of embossing and some de-bossing and then some painting on it. Decided I prefer my poppies without the weird sticky outy bits on their stems when I draw/paint them.


Looking at grey and rusted paper and shim (decided no) and some lightweight papers too.


Liking pencil marks on the brown paper and the barbed wire de-bossing from a previous piece.


And I have kept on stitching - a little bit here and there on my sampler piece. I am going with the flow completely here, letting the weirdness that appears remain, acting as a remind for myself about beginnings and learnings and what to try differently.  I love the pulled threads and the occasional line of stitching. Such fun and oh so mediative.



So nothing major happening in the studio, baby steps here and there, and enjoying gentle pottering. Not a bad way to be, altho I do have my birds, feathers, nests and eggs book to get finished!

8 comments:

  1. These are beautiful. I love the textures you get with your embossing. You made me think - I have no idea what my ancestors did in world war one. Humm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary - I love embossing and de-bossing, it just makes me happy! It is a bit intriguing to try and discover what people did all those years ago, where they went etc. I accidentally discovered my gr-grandfather had won a significant medal, and then I started researching and got quite hooked!

      Delete
  2. I love your stitched piece Fiona. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gina, I am really enjoying the quiet exploration, trying this out, then that…with no goals in mind or requirements. The journey is everything and oh what a delight that is, to let good rules and shoulds and musts.

      Delete
  3. Very interesting to see your ideas, love the poppies combined with the embossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - I am liking the poppies with the embossing too - i also like the silhouette of the poppies rather than a full drawing. Go well.

      Delete
  4. I think it's unsurprising that you are approaching this mammoth subject with tentative steps, but I know you have the sensitivity to do it justice. I wonder if there will be much calligraphic evidence of David Jones in response to the call given his war poetry? I can recommend 'Scars Upon my Heart' edited by Catherine Reilly, a lovely anthology of women's poetry from WW1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to Catherine Reilly's work Lesley - brilliant! It is a BIG subject and I am approaching it gently, thoughtfully and quietly. I wonder too if David Jones might be represented, so to speak. I think it will be a remarkable exhibition, shame we won't be able to get there...

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.