Thursday, April 24, 2014

Thursday Thoughts...

“Books are the perfect entertainment; no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn’t carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.” 

 Stephen King

This is so true of me and my family.  A number of us own what we call 'book bags'. Those sort of library-bag equivalents that allow us to carry a book or two with us for those moments, those 'inevitable dead spots in life' when a book will come in handy.

Mine hang behind the bedroom door and I select one depending on size of book, where I'm going and what I'm wearing and does it match! Laugh. I know mum never goes for a drive in the car without packing the book bag - often stuffing it with more books than she can possibly read, but knowing she might dip into all of them at some point during the trip.

It gives me great comfort to have a book bag with me, knowing that whatever delay or quiet moments, I can reach in and pick up my book.  Barry and I were on duty at the Printmakers' exhibition on Monday afternoon - the quietest shift of all; everybody was pretty much on their way home by 1-4pm on Easter Monday, so we packed our book bag with books and I also took my iPad just in case.  I think in the slow moments we both managed to read a few pages; but it was just nice to have something to do, that we wanted to do, when there was down time.

So true as Stephen King says as well - no commercials, no batteries and when on a plane, no need to power down during take off and landing!

10 comments:

  1. When I forget my book bag I feel completely lost even if the opportunity to read doesn't arise. We're busy collecting books for our holiday. No TV, no newspapers.... but a bag full of books. The perfect entertainment after a long walk on the beach :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A book bag is on the essential packing list for any holiday Robyn! I love that lead up time as well where you are collecting books, setting them aside to take and the pile just keeps on growing. So much anticipation! Have a wonderful break.

      Delete
  2. I so agree. My ipad accompanies me nearly everywhere these days and it is filled with books...just in case. There's usually a real book or recent magazine in my purse as well. A vacation with no tv, no newspapers, but filled with books sounds delightful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It almost only feels safe to go out if you have access to a book in one form or another doesn't it J? I love that if all else fails I can read on my phone as well.

      Delete
  3. I'm totally with you on this - got to have a book with me, especially for those boring trips to the doctor's or dentist's office...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharmon you just can't visit a dr or dentist without a book to keep you sane as you wait can you? If I must, I'll read the old magazines, but I prefer to use the time to keep my journey with my current book going.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks Anna - I have tried to stop collecting them for the moment! ; )

      Delete
  5. need to get myself a book bag! Love this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh have fund selecting one, or two…They are wonderful accessories!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.