Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Lots of lettering

Barry and I have moved onto Brugge in Belgium - the capital of European calligraphy - and I have been having a wonderful time!

It is such a delight to visit a city that honours and values lettering so much. Calligraphic renderings appear in so many business names and signs and house numbers.

It is a beautiful city for wandering in as well and we have walked miles each day on the cobbled streets, looking at the marvellous skylines and along the gorgeous canals. Here are some moments in Brugge...

First some lettering...







And then the skyline and canals...




13 comments:

  1. mmmm bruges ---- I spy work that shows a touch of the brody about it .... and its home to yves tooo (what a nice guy yves is) ----- I'm lovin' your piccies fiona (especially that door! I'd like to do something like that to my studio door .... if only I had the lettering skillz!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Ronnie! Broody even rode by just yesterday....I think we should all do a letter carving workshop it's just so divine!

      Delete
  2. oh, what beauty you've found! the letters are amazing, and that stairway is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lettering is oh so lovely V, and yes those stairs - sublime.

      Delete
  3. The stairs! The lettering! What a wonderful city to explore. You and B are obviously having a wonderful trip.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a wonderful city Carol, we just loved those stairs!

      Delete
  4. Oh how inspiring it must be for you Fiona! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are having a great time Kim, so much lovely lettering for me to sigh over...and calligraphy shops and exhibitions. Happy days indeed!

      Delete
  5. The lettering is exquisite and the stairs...perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The stairs stole both our hearts J, and I am enjoying all of the lettering in its many forms. And then of course the city is just so beautiful in its own right as well!

      Delete
  6. the stairs... oh my and letters... just amazing..

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.