Thursday, August 27, 2020

Thursday Thoughts...

"He never went out without a book under his arm, and he often came back with two." 

Victor Hugo

This one made me smile - how true I thought!

Both parts of it ring true to me. These days I am guaranteed to leave the house with a book stored on my phone; although I still often leave the house with a real book, just in case...

Knowing that wherever I land; whatever spare or waiting time appears before me; I will have a book to read is a great source of comfort.  I think I like the way in which reading a book in public probably gives off a sense of 'don't interrupt me please'. I am quite a solitary person and not great at social interaction with strangers (of course I can do it, but often times would rather not).

A book lets me disappear in a public spot. I like that.

And the second part of the quote - often coming back with more than I set out with is absolutely true!!!

Who can resist a book shop? Second hand books, new books, window displays, quirky titles, fabulous illustrations - I am there for them all.

It is not uncommon for me to go into town for groceries and come back with books. 

The joy of having a new book to read deserves a word of its own!


Two books bought online recently - the story of Nancy Cunard and her Press in Paris - can't wait to read about an intriguing woman and her letterpress printing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.