Thursday, January 27, 2022

Thursday Thoughts...

“We are very good at preparing to live, but not very good at living. We know how to sacrifice ten years for a diploma, and we are willing to work very hard to get a job, a car, a house, and so on. But we have difficulty remembering that we are alive in the present moment, the only moment there is for us to be alive” 

Thich Nhat Hanh

For me, the start of this year has already seen two beautiful souls die and fly free. Mo has said farewell to Rod, her partner in life, music, art and gardens.  And the buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh passed away this week -  a zen master and peace and mindfulness activist.

His words here remind me of the truth. That all we have, all that we can depend upon, know, or rely upon is this moment. 

All those plans and hopes and dreams for later today; or tomorrow or next week, or next birthday or... are not things we have. They are all in the maybe, might be, could be box - and all that we have is now.  

Which is hard, but true.  I think the time around death is the time we know this best. The grieving of our hopes and plans and our future is hard. The grief around the loss of somebody you love is all encompassing.

And so I guess I hope that I can remember to be aware and grateful and pay attention to the many many small moments, and know that each one is precious. 

That rather than get carried away with concern about what might happen, or where will we go or what will we do; that I can be here more; where my feet are, and be ever so grateful.

 
Namaste. Fly free.

6 comments:

  1. such a beautiful piece of work ... how the strings appear to be tenuous and I imagine them slipping loose of the rock, freeing the bit of wood from their hold ... becoming something else

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really enjoyed making this Liz and can see many more of them in my future! The bottom is not nearly as elegant as the top; and a part of me would like to have six on one side and five on the other - but not bad for a first go! Go well.

      Delete
  2. (((Fiona))) two beautiful souls flying free

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Mo. There is lightness in that thought...go well xF

      Delete
  3. F - beautiful post and a timely reminder to "be aware and grateful and pay attention to the many many small moments, and know that each one is precious" - so true - and periodic reminders might just help us to live this way. Thanks. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B. Periodic reminders are needed for me; but I think as we slow and pause the truth of this reveals itself over and over...x

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.