Tuesday, February 15, 2022

The cottage

Our thoughts have been turning to the cottage a lot more of late, as we get a bit of work done on our kitchen ceiling; as we join zoom meetings about a proposed wind farm; and we chat with other folk who have family connections to our wee village.

My heart has also turned to making work about the cottage and I have returned to an idea I had last year but which has sat there, patiently waiting for me to find a way through it.

Several veers to the left, the odd dead end and the need to clamber over a couple of fences and I have begun to make some progress; in completely different directions to where I thought I was going. Such is life.  I should really remember to never set out with certainty!

Plan A was to get some aluminium plates prepared in the shape of the cottage.



Plan A also involved etching said plates with imagery of flowers. I prepared some flower tracings and then laughed at myself - thinking how on earth can you get that onto the plate in such a ways as to etch it, so that you can ink it and print an etching?

I say I shouldn't head off with certainty; but I should in fact set off with an understanding of what it might take to achieve my goal and all of the possible steps; rather than my follow my nose and see what happens. Dilemma.

So I left it for 9 months, unable to face the challenge of working all of that out.

Last month, I picked up some of the cutouts and decided I would try a bit of a ground/stop out and then see if I could use a tool to mark the tracing into the ground and create a drypoint plate of sorts. On the left I use lip gloss; on the right a waxed crayon.


Suffice to say I  felt so underwhelmed by this that I am yet to even attempt to etch them.  

And then one night for some weird reason I was awake and thought - I could emboss/de-boss the imagery of the cottage onto something else! Clearly my brain was trying to found a way to avoid all that etching angst.


So I put both parts through the etching press on different papers and thought - ooh I like that.



Something could come of that.  

So my mind then turned to what the background could be that the cottage appeared against?  Would I keep on with some sort of etching print? do a mono print? print a photograph? a watercolour wash?

I have progressed but not yet completed; but I am moving which is better than being stuck.

Liz mentioned the other week that she had never seen inside the cottage; so here are a few snaps from inside. It is tiny and cosy. On our first visit my Dad, Barry and I built every piece of furniture from IKEA after repainting every wall and the kitchen ceiling. 

One of my favourite photos - Barry's legs look so relaxed whilst he sits inside the cupboard fitting the drawer sliders!


The kitchen before.


and after.


The lounge room before.


and after.


Dad and I trying to work out the lounge room chair.


One of the bedrooms, after.


The sofa bed couch, before.


and after...


Ahhh, that gorgeous cottage of ours...



4 comments:

  1. oh thank you ... these pictures detail a transformation beyond my imagining ... how you must miss being able to go there

    and the exterior cottage proportions feel very familiar, harking back to my days at Colonial Williamsburg ... I'm sure the slow-to-germinate ideas for rendering them in metal and/or paper will continue to manifest (if you're like me, that will likely be around 2 or 3 in the morning)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Liz! It's a grand little place to spend time in - I love it cosiness and compactness. Always reminds me I don't really need all that much to be happy. The proportions are very pleasing aren't they and they do references those building in Williamsburg don't they? I only know from pictures...The ideas keep happening, but nothing is yet landing on steady feet, so I shall continue, and persist.

      Delete
  2. F- love what you are doing with the cottage aluminium cut-outs. B

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks B - I have no idea where they are going; but there is movement at least!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.