Thursday, February 23, 2017

Thursday Thoughts...

"Reading a good book helps us feel unalone". 
John Green

When things are tough or I am going through life experiences I have not previously had; I turn to books.  Sure I sometimes turn to the Internet, but the bottom line is I turn to books: to read the words that others have thought about and shared; to read how things can and might work out; to read of things I need to prepare myself for and the like.

In these times, I read to know I'm not alone.

In so many ways, books can offer us hope in the darkness; an understanding of what is really happening; or ways to gather and rise up and respond to things that are wrong.  Books can provide encouragement and ways forward, both of which we often need when we are not sure of how the next bit plays...

And so I am gathering good books like a squirrel gather nuts - books that help me make sense of the things I observe around the world; and books that help me have hope and strength to find ways through.

Where would we be without books?


Rainbow stack plus rainbow!

8 comments:

  1. Great post.. I agree.. And I shudder to think where we would be without books...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed Cat - they offer so much solace in tough times...go well.

      Delete
  2. just read the most beautiful book, "The Simple Act of Reading" edited by Debra Adelaide, I think you recommended it last year, wonderful words on why we read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Mo! We read for so many reasons and each and every one of them validates us in some way...

      Delete
  3. For two whole years after my stroke 10 years ago, I couldn't read (or write). These were THE darkest times... I still can't read as quickly or broadly as I used to (complex plots get lost on me), but the rainbow-light has returned and I'm discovering the world of essays, short stories and novellas... Bliss!!
    Great post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Claire - the struggle to recover without being able to read much would be so tough. It must be hard to hold the complex plots together - but how fabulous that short stories, essays and novellas are still great! Continue to enjoy and discover new worlds...go well.

      Delete
  4. I recommend Susan Hills ' Howards End is on the Landing' - a wonderful journey through favorite books and suggestions for new ones to discover.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - I love that title; it says so much! Shall go forth and have look for it - go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.