Sunday, December 9, 2012

Filling envelopes

Susan and I have both had fairly hectic finishes to the year and have been struggling to get to the finish line  with our third collaborative book.  You may recall way back when, we began the books by selecting a shared array of papers and making thirteen envelopes each - using the same papers and the same sizes. So we had a set of matching envelopes each and our task was to create the work within them in our own ways.

This has been another approach in our collaborative efforts so far - each time we set slightly different rules, and collaborate in slightly different ways.  For whatever reason, this time around I was fairly devoid of thoughts about what to do next, and literally left the envelopes in their package for a couple of months.

Together we determined that we should have them finished by mid-December, and as you all know, its gets crazy and random this time of year, so we figured we really had to focus soon!

Our trip to NZ gave me an opportunity to ponder a story that might help hold the disparate envelopes together in some way.

Susan and I had planned a trip to Brisbane on Friday so we could look at beautiful bookworks, then decided NO, we have to DO something not just look at others' works. We thought we would work together in one of our studios for the day, but then decided that neither of us was sure enough of what we might need to take to the others' place to work with that instead, we would work separately on Friday and get together late in the afternoon to compare progress. And we did.

This flexibility is one of the things I love most about our collaboration - we aren't thrashing ourselves to stick to timelines and guidelines; we understand that each other might need some time to work things thru; but we are both committed to producing the work for ourselves and the other person, and we love to get together and share.

As ever, we were approaching things similarly but differently and the two 'books' will look and feel quite different, yet each will feel like us I think, and will share the common foundation of the envelopes.

Here's a few glimpses of where I got to by Saturday.









I think we are both finished now and will do our usual 'get the books together' thing sometime during the week I hope, and shall then be able to reveal the fuller story...

28 comments:

  1. great peek! Look forward to the bookmeet Wednesday. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know it's a bit of a tease and peek - but it will be great to get them together again and see the whole shebang!

      Delete
  2. The colours, the stripes, the marks and layers... what a feast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The combinations are so interesting aren't they Robyn?

      Delete
  3. Beautiful subtle pieces.
    I love the way both of you work - you are just SO lucky to be able to work together and be inspired by what each one of you creates.
    Wish I could join you !

    Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane - yes I think we both feel very lucky to be so nearby...

      Delete
  4. how delish these look (and I've peeked at susan's too - lovely!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ronnie - sneak peeks are always so enticing aren't they? I think they will work well together.

      Delete
  5. Susan's post came up before yours on my list of blogs so, for this morning, she got the intelligent comment. Between the two of you, you've managed to turn my brain to mush with you artistry. I'll be back later to write something more worthy of your work...until then, those big sighs you and Susan hear are me...they get amplified over the miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks J for the sighs. It's nice you think they look good from these glimpses. Soon they will be more fully revealed...

      Delete
  6. Wonderful collaboration -I've also sneaked a look at Susan's -fascinating

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rosie - it is such good fun to work in this way; the results are always fascinating.

      Delete
  7. Hi Fiona, lovely snap shots of the paper, tones and textures etc., looking forward in seeing the finished collaborative project.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kim - I like the colours too and the textures - and I think it looks like they all belong together...

      Delete
  8. the dynamics of this collaboration are inspirational! i can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Velma we are both really enjoying it and all that it offers us. You are right about the dynamics and the way that it works - we are very fortunate.

      Delete
  9. "flexibility is one of the things I love most about our collaboration" Such wisdom here. Life happens. And I l.o.v.e. these images Fiona!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Leslie. Sometimes we just have to not beat ourselves up, go with the flow a bit, knowing that it is temporary and in no way a reflection of our care or concern for the project or the other person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Fiona what intriguing photos. Just enough to whet our appetites for more.... waiting now with anticipation for the revelation of both books!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A bit of a tease really isn't it Lesley? But sometimes you have to make a good thing last! Wednesday is the day we plan to get them together - will hopefully post soon after. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing these enticing details...they hold much promise and certainly engage the imagination. I find the palette very appealing, and love all of the bits & pieces that you've shown. It looks like you had a grand time, and hearing about your lovely collaboration with Susan is a real inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa - glimpses are often lovely aren't they? I look around me and agree that this is my palette - I can't seem to venture too far from it and in the end I guess that is OK. The collaboration is a really enjoyable part of my art at the moment, thanks.

      Delete
  14. i welcome the teasing. such delightful textures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you can cope with the slow reveal tease thing Anca! There are some lovely marks and textures appearing in this one...

      Delete
  15. These glimpses are so wonderful...subtle, simple and so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Seth - the glimpses are fun aren't they? and I'n glad you see the works that way - I love simplicity and quietness in work and these are headed that way for sure. Go well.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.