Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Maleny Printmakers Exhibition

Barry and I have joined a newly formed group in Maleny - the Maleny Printmakers.

Whilst neither of us does printmaking in a full time focused manner; we do own an etching press and both enjoy making plates and printing when we can.  There is nothing quite like the moment of 'the reveal' - when you lift the paper to see what has happened as you print.

This small but dedicated group is holding their inaugural exhibition over the Easter weekend. Ten artists will be exhibiting and there will be a range of etchings, dry points, lino cuts, collagraphs and other printing methods on display and for sale.


We each contributed up to four pieces. Mine include one of my flight prints, two tiny dry points and a hanging book.

Flight...

A terrible photo of one of my tiny drypoints - I promise it looks much better in the flesh!


Pandanus II - as a book and as a hanging...



Barry's prints look stunning and we are both thrilled with the power of good framing - how it can take a piece from 'nice' to 'wow'!

The exhibition also features several of Susan's Standing Stories.

If you are anywhere nearby, please pop along and see the show, and if you want to catch up with either of us, we will be there, looking after the shop to speak, on Sunday 31 March.

Full details of the exhibition can be seen in the first image or here

9 comments:

  1. Good framing is important but your prints and Barry's have a big Wow factor to start with. I'm sorry I'm missing this exhibition. Next time I'm up your way I should try to time it better. Enjoy the exhibition, I'm sure it will be wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Carol...we hope it will be a nice, intimate exhibition, a small start to perhaps bigger things. There is a range of work and I think it will be lovely. Maybe next time as you say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rhythmic elegance. Satisfying feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely words Leslie- I hope it is just as you say!

      Delete
  4. How I wish I could see these, particularly that book Fiona. Ironically I am messing about with gilding onto glass at present so it's great to see that flash of gold leaf. I really hope it's a big success for all concerned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love a bit of gold leaf Lesley I must say - how is it going with the glass? I have only ever included scraps in a piece or two that I slumped and I found them quite beautiful, altho no longer gold...

      Delete
  5. That tiny drypoint looks exquisite ~ if it is much better in the flesh then…wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Suzie - most kind! I quite like the simplicity and almost not there-ness of the work but it is small and the photo not so good. I am pretty sure it does look nicer in the flesh! Go well...

      Delete
  6. The show sounds like a nice place to be on Easter Sunday... I especially love the translation of Pandanus II from hanging to book (or was it book to hanging?), and how even the orientation differs between one and the other.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.