Thursday, February 11, 2016

Thursday Thoughts...

So often, a visit to a bookshop has cheered me, and reminded me that there are good things in the world. 

Vincent van Gogh

Ahhhhhhh. Book shops.....

I am not as melancholy as Vincent appears to have been, but I so agree with visiting a book shop and just feeling better.

I'm not sure just what it is, but somehow simply being in the presence of so much beauty and wonder - knowing that people are writing and creating and publishing things makes me happy.  Looking at beautifully designed and exquisite covers, discovering fascinating life stories, reading the blurbs the staff tuck into the shelves to give an insight into a new novel; seeing local authors published and books of art to get lost in. Such a wonderful experience. No matter where I go, I am drawn into book shop.

We are fortunate in our town to have lots of shops that sell books; but one special indie book shop indeed. Rosetta Books is an absolute treasure trove as well as an oasis.  It now also sells coffee.

I have come to describe their fabulous coffee as the most expensive coffee in town. Yesterday we popped in for a coffee and as you sit at the communal table your eyes wander along the shelves and over all sorts of new books. You read about the Stella Prize long list that morning and wonder if they have a book of essays that were long listed, and before you know it - you've bought two books.


Yesterday's incidental, accidental purchases...

10 comments:

  1. no matter where I go, I am drawn in also, whether I can read the language or not...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Cat - just looking at books, holding them, feeling them...so special!

      Delete
  2. wandering in a well loved bookshop always gives solace to the soul

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed it does Mo - I wonder if bookshop owners know this and watch folk just replenishing themselves from the well...

      Delete
  3. Even during all my decades of working in libraries, where I spent my days cataloging books, I could never stay away from bookshops. Now, alas, at least in our country, bookshops are nearly a thing of the past. When I find one, I certainly revel in it! Yay for the lasting power of books and the printed word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Patti it makes me sad to think of a world without bookshops. Ours have struggled but seem to be turning a corner somehow, and we have so many places to buy books in this town. I just love what bookshops give us - a chance to escape, to dream and to imagine...

      Delete
  4. Book shops hold the same pleasure and nourishment for me too. But visiting art galleries has the same effect. All that talent and achievement and so much to think about that stays with you after you leave is just like the after-glow when finishing a really good book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Margaret - both galleries and book shops give me that sense; and I love your phrase - the afterglow. The perfect description.

      Delete
  5. I think Vincent could have done with more bookshops in his life (maybe it would have helped with the melancholy). I do hope they continue to thrive somehow, despite the trend. I like your description of "the most expensive coffee in town" - ! But also the richest (in the best way possible, I hope).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard today that bookshops made some gains last year which I hope is holding or slightly reversing the trend of the past few years. They are so good for the soul! And you a re right about the richness of the experience - the coffee is the richer for the venue. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.