Thursday, March 22, 2018

Thursday Thoughts...

“Being solitary is being alone well: being alone luxuriously immersed in doings of your own choice, aware of the fullness of your own presence rather than of the absence of others. Because solitude is an achievement.” 

Alice Koller 

I often try to work out if my preference for peace, quiet and solitude is antisocial. It's hard isn't it?

I think at different times solitude has been described as selfish as well and I do have to think long and hard about am I being selfish and antisocial? But I think I come down more on the side of survival. That I need to be alone at times.

I think that being alone well is vital to my health, my head, and my heart. Solitude is so very different to loneliness; almost the antithesis of it in fact as it is often when I feel most at home and a peace.

I love how this quote suggest luxuriating in doings of your own choice; and recognising the completeness of it, rather than the lack of something.

That's not to say I don't enjoy company; and I throughly enjoy quiet, silent companionable company as well! I just find being quiet and alone is so very nurturing.

I also know I need contact and connection for my health, my head and my heart; but I can't do it without those equally important moments of solitude.


The wilds of the Northern Highlands of Scotland...where we've been for 4 weeks or so without television, much mobile phone coverage or internet...remote isolation and solitude...


12 comments:

  1. You must have had some tough weather up there but it is beautiful and I thoroughly agree with your ponderings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise - the weather was indeed harsh at times, but we managed really well!

      Delete
  2. Glad to see you back. It looks beautiful. I'm also off to Scotland later in the year, though not so far up and (given the whole family are going) not so solitary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Jac - I'd always go tot Scotland, pretty much anywhere so enjoy! I think it was the wild and empty places that called me first, so many years ago - a great place for solitude. Go well.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Mo - I hope to be more connected now we are home!

      Delete
  4. Welcome back Fiona from the land of mist, fog and legend. When we can have those moments of quiet, of stillness, of solitude, they are like dipping into a well of replenishment.

    Someone once asked me how I could speak of being a solitary woman when I have spoken of my love for attending festivals, dancing the night away at these gatherings, chatting away with perfect strangers who over those moments, become friends, not strangers. For me, it is all about balance, the need to connect on a universal level as well as the need to quietly connect, on a more singular level. I do not have an internet presence, don't blog, am not on Instagram or Facebook but through reading blogs, commenting and sharing parts of my life, my cloth work, etc. I find community. The balance that I speak of, clearly defines how I view those times of needed quiet and introspection nor do I believe that such moments are selfish for those moments allow me to resume once again, full hearted, fully present and fully engaged with my surroundings and those around me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great comment Marti - it is indeed a land of mists and legend; and dipping into the well of solitude for replenishment is so very very true. I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of balance - none of us do well all by ourselves and disconnected; and none us do really well with no time for quiet contemplation. It is always a bit of a fascination for me how we are all made up of a bit of that and a bit of this; we cannot be defined as all one thing. I too enjoy connectedness and camaraderie, but need those quiet moments as you do...thanks again, go well.

      Delete
  5. In my simplistic way of thinking, I consider myself a “gregarious introvert.” I enjoy interacting with others, but revel in my alone time. A lovely balance. Not lonely, but alone. You described it more elegantly and thoughtfully. As usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the notion of a gregarious introvert Carol! Balance and aloneness, not loneliness - says it all to me. Go well.

      Delete
  6. you were there and now home, how wonderful. i first heard from a friend in my 30's how he had to be around people all the time. that was an alien concept to me! i actually could not believe my ears!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The worlds magic isn't it Velma? Yes we were there amongst the wild and empty beauty; now we are here...I can understand not understanding whatsoever how people might feel the need to be around people ALL the time - eek! So very foreign a notion. Go well.

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.