Tuesday, November 12, 2019

Of pegs and threads and garden moments

So, it is go gently and quietly time - keeping an eye on the weather as the wind roars back and the temperatures soar.  No new fires below, but watchful eyes keep looking and checking.

I seem to be back to little bits of normal, which seems to be made up mostly of pottering.

I had ordered a bunch of old wooden pegs and they began to arrive last week.

Over on my Instagram page I wondered "what should the collective noun for old wooden pegs be...? and I got some fun answers.  I think my favourite so far is a pinch of pegs!



But the pegs then brought me back to winding threads again. A friend had been pickling beetroots and couldn't bear to toss the fabulous juice out and asked if I might want to use it - so of course I did.

Here are the threads straight out of the pot - all a bit dazzling and eye-popping.


But after rinsing and drying they have arrived back to the beautiful subtle tones of the other threads, and look quite at home on their pegs.



We have been observing lot of road work out the front and so yesterday afternoon went out around dusk to check out what was happening and lots of road had been cut up and removed and was to be replaced.

But it was the moment of walking along our path and looking up to see the moonrise, then turning my head to see the sunset at the same moment from the exact same place that made me stop with wonder.

Those moments, so unexpected, and yet so appreciated.  Moments of beauty and wonder and reminders of the way the world turns, the comforting assurance of days and nights and seasons.



We wandered past the avocado tree which is full. So full. I have never seen so much fruit beginning on it.  I think it must be the dry season we have had...


And to finish with a wish for safety for folk facing fires and for folk fighting fires.

12 comments:

  1. Glad to hear normality is returning slowly- stay safe. Beautiful gentle pink with that beetroot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, yes things are steady. Hot winds blow and eyes keep look out. I love that dusky pink! Go well.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful thoughts and lovely beetroot threads. Glad you are safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Penny - the beetroot worked a treat! I was glad it softened from that fluro pink I must say...go well.

      Delete
  3. Love the pictures of sun and moon looking at each other ... and I realize I've never actually seen avocados in their native nabit before ... imagining how delicious they must be straight from the tree

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a great little moment Liz, to stand out the front of your own place and turn this way and that - special. Yes avocados are delicious when they are home grown! A lot of other fruit is forming small but dropping from the heat so its good that the avos have stayed thus far.

      Delete
  4. This is what we need! The realisation of the importance of normal things.The turning wheel...
    Blogger is eating comments again; but I did try to leave wishes of safety.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dinah for comments made and comments lost...yes gentle reminders of the turning are important, and the small moments of magic. We are grateful.

      Delete
  5. A double pleasure to read your post today. So glad to hear you are safe and that your local fires are controlled (and may they stay that way) and wonderful to hear your description of moonrise and sunset together - something I'm not conscious of seeing ever. Is this the peasure of living with such a view?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank yo Margaret. Yes we are safe, the fire is still grumbling but controlled, yet the winds are up again and we watch. I think sometimes you just need a big bit of sky to see both the sun and the moon together- I know my dad has seen them up at the cottage in Scotland - and probably good clear skies and timing! Go well.

      Delete
  6. one of the best pinks is from avocado skins and seeds, a lovely warm shade that Rene Walkin made on her pennant for the dream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that reminder Mo - and here I am growing them! I have tossed a few out since returning and not even though about it. Eek, my brain is too busy!

      Delete

I appreciate your thoughts and comments; thanks for taking the time.